The "LCD screen" of the Kid gone wild

Started by psp300639, March 02, 2015, 10:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Hi PSP,

Quotewhat's the difference between the series code starting "KB" and "KW"? Could be "Kid Black" and the other "Kid White"

Yes That's exactly it.

Doug

psp300639

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply.

This is off topic question, I have been browsing the YouTube anything to do with the Midnite solar the Kid, my observation it appears the LCD screen of the Kid has two "LED" color background , one has the "light Green" the other "Light Gray" color which one is the latest? The unit I had is the former. Anyone?

Halfcrazy

I believe green is what we use now. We tried Blue, Grey and Green.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

psp300639

Thanks Doug,

It's already 10:30 AM, the sun is not cooperating, hopefully by noon time condition will improve. ( see attached Photo).

psp300639

The Kid was able to reach the floating stage at 12:03 noon time, see photo attached.

psp300639

By 12:07 noon time started the Equalization cycles. See photo attached.

psp300639

By 1:12 pm the kid did it again, the results the same Black Box appears on the LCD screen of the unit. I did observe this time the kid was able to manage the equalization cycle much longer period of time from 12:07 noon time to 1:12 PM, unlike the previous encounter takes only few seconds to appear the anomaly during the EQ cycles. See attached photo for reference

psp300639

I just disconnect everything PV and Battery wires and let the Kid to rest for now, I tried but failed hopefully anyone can be of help? I will not give up easily on the Kid knowing it takes approximate 12,704 kilometer to reached my destination. I'll keep my fingers cross hopefully 911 is on its way to extend a helping hand with the kid. 

psp300639

I ll take rest for now, it's so tiring taking notes and photographs and watching real time what the kid does, I prepared the unit as early as 7:30AM it's now 3:09PM. Maybe tomorrow, l won't promise anything but will  see what happens. Let us continue the journey with the kid and for sure I'll am always be there by its side. See you guys.

psp300639

Other observation I forgot to mentioned. During EQ cycles whenever the "LCD screen" was on the "main status screen", I accidentally push the "Enter" Button instead the "Menu/Back" button will cause clicking noise and fraction of second later those Black boxes will appear again. Unfortunately, I was not able to record and video of the anomaly.Those clicking noise is comparable with kid early morning start-up when the sun is still rising. Hopefully my experience with kid can be of help to others. Lastly, is it possible for marine kid to load the Beta firmware version for the Beta units ? Will it void the warranty? Anyone for your comment?

ClassicCrazy

The Midnite products are designed and expected that you will do firmware updates. So if it was mine I would try the newest firmware beta update and see if that fixes the problem. I looked up that programming cable and it is just a type that you would use for a cell phone - I forget the exact one - if it is micro or mini but one of those.

There should not be any problem using your Kid if it is working normally in regular charging mode - you only see that problem with equalize so don't see why you can't leave it all connected and just don't put it in equalize. The other thing you could try to do is just up the setpoint to where you would for equalize and watch it and then change it back to normal absorb setting after you do your one or two hours of equalize at higher voltage until you figure out the problem with this.

Not sure what kind of batteries you have but you should only need to equalize flooded lead acid batteries once a month or so .  I have been just using equalize cycle to run up to absorb voltage every 10 days but equalize will hold it there for 4 hours so that it mixes up the electrolyte and won't get stratification . But if you have AGM sealed batteries rules for equalize are different and maybe not even needed.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Westbranch

Quote from: psp300639 on March 07, 2015, 07:21:55 AM
is it possible for marine kid to load the Beta firmware version for the Beta units ?

These, Beta firmware  and  Beta units  , are actually 2 different issues...

Beta Firmware you will find on the site contain the latest version of the Firmware...
Beta Units, I have one, were the first issued KIDs to test units in real  life situations..  not to be mistaken as one and the same thing.

hth
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

psp300639

Quote from: Westbranch on March 07, 2015, 11:54:34 AM
Quote from: psp300639 on March 07, 2015, 07:21:55 AM
is it possible for marine kid to load the Beta firmware version for the Beta units ?

These, Beta firmware  and  Beta units  , are actually 2 different issues...

Beta Firmware you will find on the site contain the latest version of the Firmware...
Beta Units, I have one, were the first issued KIDs to test units in real  life situations..  not to be mistaken as one and the same thing.

hth

The Kid I had is a production model, it has the latest firmware version of 1742 release last July 01, 2014. I'm just trying to explore other possibilities if the anomaly can be corrected. Anyway there's no official pronouncement from the company, then I will no longer pursue those option. Thanks WB.

ClassicCrazy

You will not void any warranty installing updated firmware - otherwise just about everyone on these forums is out of luck ! ha ha .

No problem - this is the one you should try out  if you are going to , try 1761
http://midnitesolar.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2124.0

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

psp300639

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on March 07, 2015, 04:35:03 PM
You will not void any warranty installing updated firmware - otherwise just about everyone on these forums is out of luck ! ha ha .

No problem - this is the one you should try out  if you are going to , try 1761
http://midnitesolar.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2124.0

Hi CC,

It's so tempting to try the beta firmware, but I still have "other" option which I'll try today, as of the moment I will not post yet the secret remedy ha ha, but will see what happens later. I ll will continue to post for updates.