ALPHA MyMidNite test site

Started by atop8918, March 04, 2015, 03:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atop8918

Hi Larry,
I'm still working on the timezones as part of the other changes. Nothing to release yet. All times are stored in the database in UTC, the problem is they have to pass through 4 different systems on the way to the screen which each handle times differently. Another case of technology trying to make things "easier" for everyone.

That is disturbing news about the lockups though. So these lockups appear to be coming from your network end and in at least that one case from the Classic itself? That means that the comms are still locking up. Guess I'll have to re-examine.

I'll also have a look at that Unknown state in Equalize. Your hunch is probably correct though.

Thanks!

ClassicCrazy

My friend unplugged at the router  the Cat5 from the Classic to the router and plugged it back in - did not reboot either the router or the Classic. That got it reporting again.  So is that an issue with their router ? Or does unplugging it also reset something in the Classic ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

TomW

Larry;

Cycling the cable probably caused The Classic to reconnect to the router. I have seen devices that have a flaky (technical term for crappy) connection that can cause enough errors that the ethernet  quits communicating. Any high humidity or dampness can make it worse as can the cable  being bumped or moved.

Might be a good idea to unhook it and blow out the jack to be sure no crud got in there?

All wild guesses on why it might have lost communications.

Just some thoughts.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Resthome

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on April 02, 2015, 01:21:46 PM
My friend unplugged at the router  the Cat5 from the Classic to the router and plugged it back in - did not reboot either the router or the Classic. That got it reporting again.  So is that an issue with their router ? Or does unplugging it also reset something in the Classic ?

Larry

Larry

I would think disconnecting the Ethernet cable would cause the Classic to re-establish its Static IP address with the Router and cause the Classic to initiate communication protocols. Not sure how that works with the encrypted MyMidnite link but I think it would definitely try to reestablish the link. Once it loses connective it may not be doing that it just may be waiting for one or the other to response. Andrew would have to tell us how the network code response after a lengthy time out.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

atop8918

Unplugging the cable on the Classic does reinitialize the state machines in the unit. It could also have something to do with the router, but given the Classic's history she would be the first one to blame. We have not seen any lockups yet on the internal test systems and this is the first lock-up I've heard of so far from Alpha testers. Has anyone else seen lockups? The best we can do is keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. Meanwhile I will revise the test procedures and try some more damage.

atop8918

I stand corrected -- it looks like another test instance locked up as well. I'll see if I can see what went wrong.

2twisty

I can only get "unable to contact server, please try again later."

I have tried with both HTTP and HTTPS and the error persists.

Please advise.

atop8918

Make sure that:
1- You have the Alpha firmware loaded into the Classic. Checkout the first post under this thread for the link:
http://midnitesolar.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2364.0
2- You have set your Classic to a valid address on your network and have all the other network settings configured appropriately for your network. Be especially sure that the gateway address is set correctly.
3- The DNS override/MM address MUST be set to 50.57.186.168
4- Web Access must be ENABLED
5- Make sure that all the network settings are configured correctly and committed, that is, set them up, commit them, reboot the Classic and check them again.
6- you are Logging into the alpha test site at https://50.57.186.168

If you are still unable to get to the test site or get your Classic to dial in, send me a screenshot of your configuration (you can PM me if you like) and we can try some more diagnostics out.

If you are using a Mac or other Apple device, you may not be able to browse to the test server as it uses a self-signed certificate and Apple products will try to protect you from all harm by denying you the option to access the site. I'm sure that there are ways around this but I am not familiar with them myself.

The test server is VERY slow. If you are trying to access it on a slow connection or with a relatively slow device you will get a lot of "unable to contact server" errors in your browser. The only way around this is to retry A LOT or get a faster connection! I experience some days where the server is entirely inaccessible to me as my connection is not very good here.

2twisty

#s 1-6 are good to go.

However, it looks like the very last thing you mentioned is my problem.  I've got an internet connection that is very close to dial-up in speed.  It's also rather unreliable.  I have seen data on the test site in the past, but have only been able to connect successfully once.

Is there a timeout setting on your end that you can increase? That may help you with your connection issue, as well.

atop8918

The timeout seems to be a TLS error related to the secure connection. I will dig a little to see if I can find anything configurable, but my feeling is that if this is a browser-connection problem you may have to wait until I get the site on a bigger server.

ClassicCrazy

Was there  some change to the graph scaling ? It looks like for Battery Voltage it reverted back to 0 to 40v range .
Some of the other scales don't look as nice as they did before- I haven't been on MyMidnite alpha for awhile so not sure when it changed back .
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

I saw note that there was Delete methodology added. When I first got on the alpha site I had made a "Test" tab and could never get rid of it. So i just was able to delete it , but when i did that  no graphs showed up in the other tab. I tried adding device back in but nothing showed up. But when I just made new second tab , then all the graphs showed up in the first tab . So all is well that ends well i guess !

So if anyone is having trouble seeing any data and they only have one tab showing - try making another one.
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

atop8918

I didn't (knowingly) make any changes to the graph scaling. It may be that with more data there is a wider range of voltages which is throwing off the scaling. I can go back in and make sure it's only using the scaling for the shown data though.

I think the original systems were not "compatible" with the newer stuff -- I've been admittedly sloppy in trying to keep everything in the database in sync on the Alpha site. It's possible that the logic failed with the older system that you had created. Having said that, please keep me posted on any weirdness you guys see with the systems and devices management. I'll go back in and test the Dickens out of it just to be sure.

ClassicCrazy

Here is recent screenshot of graph and one of better scaling from before

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

atop8918

Yeah it looks like it is using the full data scale instead of just what is shown on the big graph. You can see your battery volts slowly descending down to the current levels. Looks like the scaling is using the data from the previous values when it was up high. I'll have another look and see why it's doing that. It should only be scaling to the data shown in the "zoom up" chart.