Kid with Whiz Bang - how do I know current output

Started by CharlieBecker, March 31, 2015, 05:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieBecker

I don't see any status screens that shows how many amps are crossing over the shunt, either going into the batteries or coming out.  I must be missing something because otherwise what's the use of the Whiz Bang!

I'd like to see instantaneous as well as maybe a daily/weekly profile of my power in vs out.

Thanks!

Charlie
Kid attached to 4 100w panels and 3 105Ahr AGM batteries.

Doug

Hi CB,

Did you set it up in the Aux menu?
What happens when you press the right arrow?

The WBjr besides displaying amps can be used for end-amps when charging

Doug

ClassicCrazy

Yes as Doug said - maybe you did not set the Whizbang up in the menu's.

But just so you know, the Kid does not do any data logging so no histories will be available. Only what is going on in the present time.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

CharlieBecker

Thanks Doug and ClassicCrazy, but I don't even see what's coming in/out.

Yes, it is set up in Aux menu, I also have EndAmps set for WBJr (Tech/Advanced menu) and 0.1amps (Battery menu).

The only 4 screens I have in status are:

3.4A BulkMPPT
127V Solar 43w

Input    Battery
73.8v      12.7v

0.1a  SOC  100%
330Ah Remaining

Load: Manual
0.0 Off

KWhr    KID   Ahr
0.0                2.0

I just did a factory reset which is why KWhr is 0.0.  I want to see what power is CURRENTLY coming in/out of battery.

Are there any plans for logging with a future firmware that you know of?

Thanks!

Charlie
Kid attached to 4 100w panels and 3 105Ahr AGM batteries.

ClassicCrazy

I think the first one in your list is the amps coming in from the panel .
The one next to the SOC would be the System amps or what is going into the batteries.  Though in your case I would think it being in Bulk most everything would be going into the batteries unless you had a lot of loads on at the same time then it would not show up in system amps.
If you turn your PV off and then turn a load on the system amps should show negative number - if not something with your Whizbang must not be wired or configured properly .

Page 30 of the owners manual - though I am not sure if any of the recent firmware updates changed these.
I am not by my Kid now so can not look at mine and see what it looks like.
What version of the firmware do you have ? Make sure you have the most recent one.

I believe the Kid owners manual is in process of getting updated and rewritten .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Mario

Quote from: CharlieBecker on March 31, 2015, 06:23:10 PM
Thanks Doug and ClassicCrazy, but I don't even see what's coming in/out.

Yes, it is set up in Aux menu, I also have EndAmps set for WBJr (Tech/Advanced menu) and 0.1amps (Battery menu).

The only 4 screens I have in status are:

3.4A BulkMPPT
127V Solar 43w

Input    Battery
73.8v      12.7v

0.1a  SOC  100%
330Ah Remaining

The screen Above is the WBJR status screen.

Quote from: CharlieBecker on March 31, 2015, 06:23:10 PM
Load: Manual
0.0 Off

KWhr    KID   Ahr
0.0                2.0

I just did a factory reset which is why KWhr is 0.0.  I want to see what power is CURRENTLY coming in/out of battery.

Are there any plans for logging with a future firmware that you know of?

Thanks!

Charlie

Mario

SM-Viper

Is your battery change % set? (Usually 1%). I'm a little confused as to why your batts are at 100% SOC while the Kid is in BulkMPPT. Also, check your batt efficiency setting (generally 94%). If not, that may help explain it. Hope this helps!   :)

-Sean
12v Off grid backup system and "playground"
(4) 245 watt Solar World panels 2x2
(2) 6v Deka 215 AH golf cart batteries series
(1) Kid CC
(1) MNDC125 DC Disconnect, all 2/0 wire
wbjr and 500A shunt all breakers
(1) MNPV3 combiner box.

Bunkie314

I noticed the % change is lost on a kid power cycle and has to be reprogrammed back in (FW 1761).  All other WBJR settings remain.

Go back through all the settings again.
10-ePVL 136w unisolar panels, 3-lifeline 4D AGM batteries, 2012 Magnasine inverter/charger and two kids on mobile app.

30 Solartech 305w mono awaits remote cabin install

xsnrg

If the OP has just reset the KID, which I think I saw mentioned, then the SOC will say 100% until a full cycle is completed.  The KID has no way of knowing what SOC is at that point until it has worked on the battery.

Mario chimed in and mentioned the SOC screen is the WBjr screen.  I will try to add a little more color.  The amps on this screen are the amps that are going to the battery after any live loads have been met.  If your load is greater than the amps coming in on the first screen (status BulkMPPT) then you have more load than PV input and the amps on the SOC screen will show negative.

For example, I run about 2.2A of load at 12v,  24x7.  I pull this load direct off the battery through the shunt and it is picked up by the WBjr.  Right now, my SOC shows 91% and the amps on the SOC/WBjr screen is showing about -2.1a.  It is 2.1 because the battery voltage is closer to 13 after a good day of charging.  During the day, if I had 25A made available by the KID from the panels, the SOC screen would show 22.9a and the first status screen would show 25A BulkMPPT or similar.

Hope this helps.  It looks like you may be set up right and just needed some help with what you were looking at?

Jim
3x 250w Renogy RNG-250D
1x MidNite KID w/WBjr and MNBTS
1x 12v 100Ah el cheapo deep cycle
1x 300w PST-300-12 Samlex pure sine
http://www.howardweb.org/weather/solar/index.html