News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

TcompLimits

Started by Kent3, April 13, 2015, 11:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent3

I'm trying to fine tune my MNBTS setpoints. I currently have 31.2 Volts for my Max TcompLimit. What would be a reasonable Minimum Volts for a 24 Volt battery? I'm not sure I understand how TcompLimits work. Any help on the subject would be appreciated.
Kent
6 - 150 Watt PV, 210Ah /24V FLA Battery Bank, 2-MN-Kid CC w/WBjr and 2-MNBTS, eu2000i, eu3000i,  Samlex 1000 Watt PSW, 1000 Watt MSW,    Linux user

Vic

Hi Kent,

Some batteries,  and some Inverters,  etc,  have absolute limits on Max and perhaps,  Minimum battery voltages.   These are primarily Temperature Compensation limits.

Sealed batteries and some others will not tolerate relatively high charge voltages,  and some of them appear to have absolute upper limits of charge voltage,  even for very cold batteries.

So,  first,   if you have a VRLA -- sealed -- battery,  consult the manufacturer's specifications to note any voltage limits during charging.   And also look for the compensation  value.

If your batteries are Flooded (FLA),  generally there are no real limits for temperature compensation,  within reason.   It would generally be good that the upper Limit be set,  such that even EQing a cold or cool battery would not reach the set upper limit.   But some Inverters,  especially 12 V units,  and some 24 Vers as well,  will shut down at inconveniently low relative voltages during EQ and or with cold batteries.

The ability to set the charge voltage Limits is very handy when trying to charge or EQ cold batteries and still not have the inverter shut down while doing so.

Generally,  these are my opinions on the Limits settings.   YMMV.   Good Luck,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Kent3

Thanks Vic for the reply. That makes sense for the high voltage to protect the inverter. I thought the purpose of Equalization was to have a higher voltage with low current. So how does a low voltage fit into the Equalization process ? I forgot to mention my batteries are FLA.
6 - 150 Watt PV, 210Ah /24V FLA Battery Bank, 2-MN-Kid CC w/WBjr and 2-MNBTS, eu2000i, eu3000i,  Samlex 1000 Watt PSW, 1000 Watt MSW,    Linux user

Vic

Quote from: Kent3 on April 14, 2015, 08:43:14 AM
   ...   That makes sense for the high voltage to protect the inverter   ...   So how does a low voltage fit into the Equalization process?   ...

The Low Limit is does not come into play with EQ,  as an EQ is primarily to attempt a full charge for all cells by overcharging the highest ones to try to get the low cells at full charge,  as you know.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!