A more rationalized solar panel?

Started by weijing3333, May 26, 2015, 02:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weijing3333

Would it be possible to use a lens or a mirror to focus light onto a solar panel in order to product in more efficient?

And is something like this already one used?

It was just a thought and I haven't spent much time on it, but I figured I'd ask.

TomW

I am pretty sure that this has been done (PV solar concentrators) but I seem to remember it was very hard on the cells and resulted in  shortened lifespan. California, I think and the installation was not very successful and dismantled. I remember the used panels being on Ebay or something.

Can't remember details.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

weijing3333

do you know Renesola? or yinglisolar? or trina? how about these solar panels?

RossW

Quote from: weijing3333 on May 26, 2015, 02:49:02 AM
Would it be possible to use a lens or a mirror to focus light onto a solar panel in order to product in more efficient?
And is something like this already one used?

Look up the "Sun ball" and later "Sun cube" from a mob of shysters here in Australia. greg watson and green-and-gold energy or something. DO NOT under ANY circumstances invest any money in their deceptions. They've plundered tens or hundreds of millions of dollars from people and as far as I know, haven't produced a single kilowatt-hour of real-world power.

The concept was good. Triple-layer solar cells for spacecraft. Fresnel lenses. Built-in solar tracking and inverters. It was all there, just that greed and lies got in the way, his designs were too complex to fabricate and the devices ultimately I think too flimsy, but worst of all was his PR. Just a disaster.

Anyhow, the concept was proven, we just need someone honest to make and market it! You up for a challenge?? :)
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

ClassicCrazy

Many years ago there used to be someone at the Midwest Renewable Energy Fair in Wisconsin who made panels that concentrated the light . I think the problem was they were too big and bulky and took too much aluminum to make the case of it. From what I remember it may have had Fresnel lenses on it too. 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

littleharbor2

Now defunct SolFocus  http://www.isetc.org/English/Archives/201010/Presentations/ISETC-2010-Oct20-Phil_Metz.pdf
Manufactured a Concentrator Solar module which used parabolic dish mirrors and prism lenses to concentrate the suns intensity 650 times. They had catered more to commercial solar installations having megawatt solar farms worldwide. Probably their biggest flaw was the fact that for these modules to work at all they have to be on dual axis trackers, coupled with the fact they were much more expensive to manufacture, per watt than conventional solar module technology.
I had purchased a couple surplus pallets of these modules and got to play with them before selling them off. They were bulky, approx. 3 1/2' x 5' x 8" thick 315 watts at about 65 volts. They had 20 parabolic dishes per module. When metering them I did verify the output was nearly zero until you pointed them directly at the sun, then bang, full power
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric
   Trace SW 4024 (brand new, sort of, first energized Feb. 2015)
  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4  Battery bank