Bulk to Absorb to Float

Started by Rain Dog, May 26, 2015, 05:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain Dog

How does the KID decide when to switch from Bulk to Absorb? Absorb to Float?

I had 200 Watts of solar connected in parallel to 225 AH of Trojan T-105 batteries. The charge controller was pretty much always in BulkMPPT mode, which is what I expected since we are always between 50% and 80% SOC.

I added another 100 Watts today and switched series. The controller ran in BulkMPPT when I first looked, but a few hours later it was in float.  No way the batteries are over 80% SOC. Trying to understand how it decides what mode to be in to get an idea of what is going on.
KID Controller, 3 x 100w Renogy Bendable, 2 x Trojan T-105,
Victron BMV 600s, Iota DLS-55 on Pacific Seacraft 34

Doug

Hi Dog,

The charge mode is decided by battery voltage (User adjustable)

On a typical 12V system: (double for 24V)
Bulk - All available power goes to the batteries until they reach the absorb voltage setting, usually around 14.7V.
Absorb - Holds the batteries at the absorb voltage setting, backing off on power as needed for either the times set or by ending amps if using the WBJr.
Float - when Absorb has either timed out or the end amps match their setting if using the Whiz Bang Jr. the batteries are held at the user adjustable Float voltage usually around 13.4 to 13.8 (use battery mfr's recommended settings).
This assumes enough solar is available to complete each mode.

HTH,
Doug

ClassicCrazy

Doug explained it perfectly !
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

TomW

Be sure to calibrate the voltages (input and battery) on the Classic via the "tweaks" menu.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

Also make sure end amps is not set causing it to go to float
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Rain Dog

Thanks for all the info. I think I have it setup correctly now.
KID Controller, 3 x 100w Renogy Bendable, 2 x Trojan T-105,
Victron BMV 600s, Iota DLS-55 on Pacific Seacraft 34