Relays - so many choices, so little time

Started by kitestrings, June 15, 2011, 04:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitestrings

Hi folks,

We just received our breakers.  Thank you.

We've got most everything we need now except for the 'clipper' relay.  Edward used a Crydom 50A; and mentioned a larger, though pricier Powersem.  I'm feeling like the 50A may not quite be large enough.  boB used a Teledyne, perhaps from this family?
http://www.teledynerelays.com/pdf/industrial/e3p.pdf

For my application, a 15' axial, a 75A relay or contactor would seem to offer a comfortable safety factor based on:

5,600W peak/~135VDC = 41ADC; or roughly 30-35A (rms AC) on ahead of the rectifier.

Just wondered what others may have used, and/or favored.  Appreciate any input.

~kitestrings

boB

Quote from: kitestrings on June 15, 2011, 04:28:39 PM
boB used a Teledyne, perhaps from this family?
http://www.teledynerelays.com/pdf/industrial/e3p.pdf

~kitestrings

yessirree !!  That be the one.   Nice SSR so far as I can see  (SFAICS)

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

keyturbocars

kitestrings,

Sounds like you are getting close to putting together your system.  Exciting!

I'd go for the Teledyne 75A SSR like boB used.  If I didn't already have my Crydom 50A SSR, then I would have gotten that one. 

I just made sure I had a BIG heat sink for my SSR's (and thermostatically controlled fans) to try and keep my SSR's reliable.  So far, so good.

Look forward to reading more about your progress as your project continues.

Edward

kitestrings

boB, Edward,

I think that makes sense.  We've been generally leaning toward a safety factor of 2x (or more) on some of these critical components.

We've still got a lot to get ready, but I'm pleased with the progress.  I'm almost done the blades, and have started on the rectifier/controls (still haven't figured out how to post pics ???).  October is our tentative deadline.  We'll see.  Summers fill up with things quickly.

I'm sure I'll have some questions for you as we get closer, but thanks for all your help.  VT's a great place to vacation summers; be sure to look us up if you get east of the Mississippi.

~kitestrings