FIRMWARE UPDATE PROBLEMS!

Started by Halfcrazy, August 26, 2015, 08:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

So today I was installing MM2 code and having a hell of a time getting 2 Classics to update. Tried 20 times or so each and NO GO. Feeling massive frustration I happened to be talking to an Engineering buddy of mine on the Ham Radio at the same time and he said "You do know the Ethernet is pretty noisy right?"

SO I unplugged my switch to kill the Ethernet and WALLAH!!!!!!!!!! They all update the first try every time.

Not saying this is a guarantee but if you are having issues getting the Classic boot loader to see the PC when you turn it on try shutting down the LAN

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Resthome

Quote from: Halfcrazy on August 26, 2015, 08:58:26 AM
So today I was installing MM2 code and having a hell of a time getting 2 Classics to update. Tried 20 times or so each and NO GO. Feeling massive frustration I happened to be talking to an Engineering buddy of mine on the Ham Radio at the same time and he said "You do know the Ethernet is pretty noisy right?"

SO I unplugged my switch to kill the Ethernet and WALLAH!!!!!!!!!! They all update the first try every time.

Not saying this is a guarantee but if you are having issues getting the Classic boot loader to see the PC when you turn it on try shutting down the LAN

Ryan

Interesting, always worth a try next time it occurs. Will see what happens next week when we return to the boat.

Question is have you had the problem before or was it just with this MM2 update? I only had an occasional update problem until 2050 came along and then it was like you it went on for an hour or so trying to get the Classic to connect. It appears that the PC is ready and waiting and that when the Classic powers back on and the USB shows connected on Com8 that what ever handshake is suppose to take place doesn't happen. Guessing it seems like a timing problem. Does the code keep trying to communicate or is it one time only and then waits?
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Halfcrazy

I have always had some issues and had to retry several times on the power up cycle. this worked every time this AM

Westbranch

and he said "You do know the Ethernet is pretty noisy right?"

Is it possible this is the source of constant disconnects of the Local App also??? 

eg. Lately, last 2 weeks, with a new laptop, wireless connection, I had drop outs and no reconnects , sometimes within minutes, < 5 it seemed, but with an older CPU (was XP now W7) hardwired  to the wifi router, the drops were hours apart..if any before I signed off....
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Resthome

Quote from: Halfcrazy on August 26, 2015, 06:20:41 PM
I have always had some issues and had to retry several times on the power up cycle. this worked every time this AM

Will be an interesting experiment to try. My Router and Wi Fi are within a foot of the Classic. But the Classic generates more noise when charging than anything else. Marine band 68 can not squelch the noise 20 ft away from the Classic.  ::)
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

bafaro

I tried to do the update on my two classics 150, they not only do not meet a com8 but are now blocked despite factory reboot. .
here I have tried the same thing ie unplug the internet and this is ok.
Thanks

Resthome

Quote from: Resthome on August 26, 2015, 07:45:11 PM
Quote from: Halfcrazy on August 26, 2015, 06:20:41 PM

Will be an interesting experiment to try. My Router and Wi Fi are within a foot of the Classic. But the Classic generates more noise when charging than anything else. Marine band 68 can not squelch the noise 20 ft away from the Classic.  ::)

Well with Win10 i can no longer get the Classic to do updates. Tried unplugging the router and that made no difference. Tried reinstalling the Midnite driver and set it to COM 8  - Update said that  "COM8 is busy or does not exist."  Multiple tries results in no connections with the 2056 update.

So i am at a dead end until Midnite responds to update instructions for WIN10. 
John

Halfcrazy

As I mentioned windows 10 has causes us a lot of issues, The Local app not working is one. I will add it to my to do list but I suspect the updater may not work in windows 10. The good news is 2056 really only applies to Classic SLs so there is no real value in updating to it on a regular Classic

Resthome

Quote from: Halfcrazy on September 30, 2015, 06:35:18 AM
As I mentioned windows 10 has causes us a lot of issues, The Local app not working is one. I will add it to my to do list but I suspect the updater may not work in windows 10. The good news is 2056 really only applies to Classic SLs so there is no real value in updating to it on a regular Classic

Thanks Ryan.  With MS updating all Win7 and Win 8.1 computers to Win10 I hope this moves to the top of the list.

Strange the Local App has been working for me under Win10. Is there a particular issue with the LA that does not work under WIN10?  I did have Norton 360 stop the LA from running, it said it had detected suspicious network activity or something close to that.

John

Resthome

Quote from: Halfcrazy on August 26, 2015, 08:58:26 AM

Ryan

Just for the record I tried unplugging the Ethernet router and unplugging it from the Classic. In my case this did nothing to help connect the laptop to the classic on COM8 for firmware updates.
John

Westbranch

W7 machine used for previous update...  hair pulling time again HPTA!!

OK, I loaded the new GUI etc and have deleted and reloaded said program 5 times so farrrrr......NADA

I plug PC into the Classic and wait for the message about com8 which is not on my PC anywhere and NADA!!

I have also  tried using the GUI and it gives 2 Command screens and then tells me Com8 is not loaded...

I tried the "Wizbandit Sticky" process and also NADA????

where have I gone wrong, have been following the manual to a "T".... thanks Resthome, it worked last time but not now???
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,

Resthome

Erik

Try looking in the Device Manager with the USB cable plugged in from the Classic to the Computer under Port you should see the MidNite drive it has to be on COM8. Do you have that?
John

Westbranch

yes, thanks John, got it to load FW and NetW !  8)

I am suspecting a loose connection...  I rechecked all connections ,again, and it worked..  maybe a partial touch on one of the several copper wires? If it happens next update time I will swap out both cables (2 Classics) just to eliminate that possibility. next would be the PC socket, as I used a different one (choice of 3) when I succeeded... so I'm now not sure if it  was one or the other.. duh...

Note to self: Remember, only change one variable at a time!  ::) ::)

Vern Faulkner

I had a heck of a time with an update today, to the latest and greatest. It crashed the panel and I had to do the jumper reboot.... but for two hours, i was really panicking, as the controller is our source of juice now that we're off-grid.

The VMM was useless....

and I am now fearful of turning the controller off (not that it's off very often.)

Westbranch

Vern, what did you use to do the install?

I had a bearcat of a time for awhile, but once I got the first install of V 2074 in, loose wire?

the folllow-up installls (suspected bad install) went smoothly...including VMM's ....now narrowed down to the power board and it is to be replaced soon...

ADD: in BLUE