XW E Panel - with new Xantrex 600v CC

Started by Zee, June 30, 2011, 08:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zee

Hello,
   Have purchased a XW6048 and want to get the XW E panel to go with it, but am looking at using the new XW MPPT 80 600 charge controller, mostly due to capacity and the high voltage capabilities of it to reduce string wiring requirements. The issue I see is the DC breakers in the E-panel aren't of high enough voltage to handle up to 600v of DC power from the panels, unless I am missing something obvious (which is possible). Assuming my concern is valid, will 600V breakers be offered for the XW E=panel to support this new charge controller?

Thanks!
Frank

Halfcrazy

That is a good question. I do not think we will offer anything for breakers at least not real soon that will fit in the XW Epanel. What is Schneider doing about breakers? I will definitely bring this to the attention of our Engineering department and have them respond here asap.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Zee

Excellent  - thanks! Look forward to hearing what their response is =)

Thanks again,
Frank

Robin

The XW E-Panel is only ETL listed for up to 300VDC. We just spent 6 months redoing all of our listings for our E-Panels. They moved from UL508A to UL1741. It was a very expensive move, so I don't want to open up a can of worms about going to 600VDC. We do have the all of our combiners listed for 600VDC. The new MNPV6 Disco has a handle through the door that actuates the breakers inside. This will qualify as your PV input disconnect. We have 16, 30 and 50 amp/600VDC breakers coming in from CBI in about 5 weeks. These breakers take up 4 din rail slots (2"). Other than putting the huge Square D box on the house as your disconnect, our MNPV6 Disco is your only other viable choice. Here is a link to the enclosure. http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=282&productCatName=PV COMBINERS&productCat_ID=9  
Hmmmm. not sure that looks right? Go to our price list and look for it under combiners. The price for the enclosure is $194 and the 600VDC breakers will be $109.
Robin Gudgel

Zee

Thanks Robin! Sounds like a great idea to use the MNPV6 disconnect with the 600v DC breakers as a viable workaround. I can wait the 5 weeks until you get the 600v breakers and move forward with the XW panel and the CC in the interim.

Thanks,
Frank