Battery temperature sensor

Started by PointyHairedBoss, January 25, 2016, 08:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PointyHairedBoss

I have the following system: 8 Sharp 235W solar panels, 2 Midnite Solar MNE250ST-R charge controllers 1-Classic & 1-Classic Lite, 3 Surrette 4KS25P batteries, Outback VFX2812 inverter, Outback Mate control, Samlex 350W inverter
When I installed the system I never connected the battery temperature sensors because my batteries are located in an area that is always cool & I thought the only purpose of the sensors was to prevent overheating of the batteries. I have recently learned that another purpose of the sensors is to temperature correct the various voltage set points: absorb, float, equalize etc.
I have 2 questions:
1) Does the Classic's temperature sensor affect these voltage set points?
2) If so, can I use a single sensor for both charge controllers. The Classic Lite is presently controlled through the Classic's buttons & display so I thought a single sensor is all I need.

Halfcrazy

The sensor adjusts the target voltage based on battery temperature. So if the battery is cool it raises the voltage and if the battery is warm it lowers the voltage, Yes if you have the follow me cables installed you can use a single battery temp sensor. You do need to tell the classic with NO sensor to follow masters sensor in the tweaks menu though.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Tump

Temp sensors also will give you a bit of protection from over temp batteries due to over/hard charging or dry or shorted cells.
Temp sensors should ALWAYS BE INSTALLED. Thermal runaway is NOT a pretty picture or smell!

Vic

Quote from: Tump on February 12, 2016, 08:44:03 AM
Temp sensors also will give you a bit of protection from over temp batteries due to over/hard charging or dry or shorted cells.
Temp sensors should ALWAYS BE INSTALLED. Thermal runaway is NOT a pretty picture or smell!

YES,  BTSes should be used on all charge sources ...

BUT,  to me,  it is to ensure that the battery bank can receive a full charge when the battery is cool/cold,  as well as not being overcharged,  too much,  when the battery is warm.

Not to put too fine a point on it.     FWIW,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

k7zs

I made it back to Baja after spring in USA, and returned to the BTS issue, and a call to Chris @ Midnite was finally made, and let me straight to the underlying problem.

In the WHIZBANG menu, under SETUP, is where you set the REFERENCE VOLTAGE used as 'ZERO ADJUSTMENT".  We all know that it should be 25C, but on this particular controller, it was 19C!  So, it was compensating accordingly!

Set it to 25C (thank god it is adjustable) and now the system is right on the money....

Now, I don't have to worry about having to 'fudge' the system dramatically to keep the batteries from french frying down here all summer!

Thanks and "73"

Kevin XE2/K7ZS