Help me choose cable setup for Clipper, Classic and turbine

Started by Olberg, July 04, 2016, 05:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olberg

At last I got hold of some heavy duty cables really cheep. But unfortunate a need to join them together half way to my battery bank.
And also, I don´t know if its better to send the turbines wild AC or DC from the Clipper for the "long run".

I really need your input on which way to go.
1 or 2?

As always, I really appreciate the help from you guys!
/O

dgd

The No2 wiring is the proper one where the 3 phase AC from turbine is the long cable and the Clipper is located next to the Classic
70mm2 cable is somewhat overkill for your application

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Olberg

Thanks dgd, I was hoping you would answer.
How far away is your turbine from your battery bank and what kind of cable are you using?
All the best
/O

dgd

Olberg,
I use the Clipper next to a Classic 250 connected via #4 DC cables about 600mm long.
The 2Kw turbine is up a 15metre pole then about 30metres away from the Clipper. All up about 50 metres of triple core cable, each core is #6, its tenaflex double insulated single run (no joints).
I separate the cores about a metre out from the AC inputs to the Clipper so that I can have three AC current transformers on the cables. These let me show the phase AC currents on a monitoring web page.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Boondocker

Also recommend option 2.  Having the Clipper in close proximately to the Charge Control is convenient.   Provides a much short run for the AUX 2 wiring.   Also, turbine shutdown (using the Clipper) can done while not being underneath the tower.