Acid to H2O ratio - battery maintenace?

Started by sigp2101, July 12, 2016, 03:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigp2101

What is the best approach to make sure that each cell contain same amount of H2O.

It is very hard to judge water level in each cell that needs to be fill up to.
I mean due to number of batteries in our banks and difference in temperatures they develop during EQ cycle H2O will evaporate at different rate in each cell causing difference in electrolyte level in each cell. Now challenge is how to establish proper ratio between H2O and H2SO4 in order for hydrometer to give proper reading in order to successfully maintain our B-banks.

Would community care to share their thoughts?

Thanks!
Off grid system:
3 X 230W 36V 8A SolarWorld in series,
Classic 150,
36V BB - 225Ah 6x6V Trojan T-105 T2,
3000W psw Inverter,
Fridge 159KWh/Y, 30W led lights, laptop, TV.

Vic

Hi sigp2101,

There is often little perfection,  when dealing with batteries ...  nice to strive for perfection.  The good thing,  is that Flooded batteries are fairly forgiving.

Personally,  use a small LED flashlight to help illuminate the vent tube fairly well.   Then try to add Distilled Water (only)  to the cells.

Try to fill to a relatively consistent level,  usually about 1/4" (you can convert to Metric if needed) below the bottom of the fill tube.

You should try to use some form of eye protection,  and perhaps disposable gloves.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

TomW

I found that a large syringe and a bit of plastic tube make it easy to fill in some unhandy locations. The syringes I used held an ounce or so {30 CC}.

On Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FN65ZG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They come in larger sizes and some with tubes [catheters they call them].

Anyway that is what I did when my battery fill bottle with the auto shutofff wouldn't fit in the space.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

off-grid-geeks

Most of my cells are not easily visible due to the style of battery box I used.

To make filling MUCH easier, I went to the home improvement store and got a little (1 gallon) pump sprayer.
At the end of the wand, I heated the plastic pipe an inch or so back from the nozzle to soften it, and then bent it at a much sharper angle, probably 60-70 degree angle.

I then fill the tank with distilled water and pump to a weak pressure. With the sharper bend at the nozzle, I can easily insert the nozzle into the fill tube and fill the cell. I have learned to recognize the change in the sound as the water level reaches the bottom of the fill tube, so I know when to stop filling each cell.

This works great, changed a two person job into a 1 person job that is easy and quick to do.

russ_drinkwater

Get a telescopic mechanics mirror and it will save you a lot of guess work!
Wife can hold it for you or you can make a clamp so you can set it up and watch as you fill your cells!
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters