Anyone have experience with wind turbines and classic 150 regs?

Started by russ_drinkwater, July 16, 2016, 03:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ_drinkwater

Does anybody have any experience using 24 volt pma's and running the charge through a classic 150?
Also can you use solar array and wind turbine at the same time through the same regulator?
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

mike90045

Quote from: russ_drinkwater on July 16, 2016, 03:16:40 AM
Also can you use solar array and wind turbine at the same time through the same regulator?

Not likely, the PV will act like a voltage limit for the turbine, Voc limiting the turbine voltage, not sure how it would work after dark, if the PV would suck all the power from the turbine. (dark panels have a low Voc)
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

dgd

You could just connect the turbine directly to the battery bank at DC distribution box.
The neg should go to high side of the shunt then the WBjr will see the turbine charging current.
This will work well with a smallish under 1kw turbine but you should still have breakers in DC pos and perhaps a run/stop switch that can shut down the turbine
Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

TomW

I have used turbine(s) with Classic 150's. You probably should use a Clipper or other device to limit the turbine output to stay within the Classic's input  limits. Mostly voltage limits.

As DGD pointed out you cannot use the Classic with both sources into its inputs, or, in other words  it would not be a sensible or workable configuration.

I have also used Classics feeding solar in and a turbine directly connected to the same battery bank.

You can have issues overcharging if your turbine happens to start pushing lots of power in while the batteries are full, however. There may be ways to use the Aux outputs to control a turbine stop relay based on battery voltage.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

russ_drinkwater

Thanks for the replies.
The pmas are rated at 80 amps max output so from my experience with the 2 grid tie feedin ones we have have here it is very unlikely
they would ever reach anything like that output.
The cheapest way for me to hook one directly to the 24 volt heating elements on my son's hot water system.
No regulator required.
Will see how that goes when the time is right.
Will have to save my pennies for another reg for mine.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

TomW

Quote from: russ_drinkwater on July 17, 2016, 04:00:01 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The cheapest way for me to hook one directly to the 24 volt heating elements on my son's hot water system.
No regulator required.
Will see how that goes when the time is right.
Will have to save my pennies for another reg for mine.

Russ;

Just be aware that some turbines may not start in sub gale force winds with a load on them.

Just saying..

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

russ_drinkwater

Hello Tom,
I am not sure myself.
I have 2 x 12 volt pma's of the same config connected to a grid feed inverter and where they are receiving intermittent wind a fair
bit of the year. Have spent a lot of cash trying different blades and lengths from windy nation in america to get them spinning
at high enough rpm in lower winds.
That being said they have no regulator in the system as the voltage varies from 10.5 to 30 plus volts (that is the inverter range)
I will have to try and test the pma's to see if they fire up under load as in the heating elements.

russ_drinkwater

Got another 150 reg and so will test one of the pma's to see what output they have.
Three foot alloy blades so plenty torque and lesser rpm's.
I can change the hub over to some higher speed blades if needed.
Still no tower so it will be a while. :(

russ_drinkwater

OK crunch time! I will be setting up a tower and mounting system for one pma this week all going well.
I have have two blade and hub configs, one with the smaller low torque high speed blades and the other one with the larger high torque slower rpm blades. I think I will go with the slower, larger blades first to see what output is generated through the classic 150.

eastpoint turbine

Power companies pay me for  power                  Standalone.
  explain
   eastpoint

russ_drinkwater

Um, we export 40kws a day to the grid and we get paid 44 cents per kw!
Does not sound like much but over the year it adds up to a new 24 volt set of trojans every year! (4 x L16 carbons)  ::) ;D

russ_drinkwater

Ok after reading what a few people have posted here in regard to pma's I got off my butt and put son's up the other day.
No reg and just dumped it straight to the batteries.
It has hardly stopped since installation and keeps trojan bank topped up overnight a treat.
Also I have upgraded their solar array and removed the 18 volt voc panels and installed the hyundai 31 plus volt panels which has
increased the system (array output) voltage to 52 volts and works a lot better, even on cloudy days the array puts out 20 amps and nearly
50 amps in full sun.
Yesterday the array made 7.5 kw, plus unknown from pma.
Their wbj has died as well so he has to rely on the hydrometer for soc checking.