midnight battery monitor

Started by solarvic, October 25, 2011, 08:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarvic

Can you run the wireing from the battery to the midnight monitor thru the same conduit as the battery cables? I didn,t see anything in the directions about that. I hope I can get a quick answer because I need to get some kind of monitor ordered tomorrow if possable.   solaevic
Fronuis inverters and sharp, kyocera, mittsubushi solar panels.

Halfcrazy

Yes that will be no problem at all.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

solarvic

Thanks for the quick answer. Going to order it tomorrow. Got a classic 150 on the way too.   solarvic

Vic

And,  vic,

It is subject to the derating for the number of current-carring conductors in the conduit.  Most Ampacity tables are for no more than three CC conductors in conduit.

This you probably know.   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

solarvic

I will only have 1 battery. Magnum Inverter will be wired for grid pass thru charging the battery from the grid. Putting generator interlock kit in AC service panel. connecting the magnum inverter instead of a generator. I have 1800 watt gti inverter that is going to be connected to grid side of main breaker which passes thru inverter imput. I plan on using battery power at night discharging battery and in daylight will pass power thru inverter for use and recharging the battery. Wish Midnight had a high voltage controler like the xantrex. I just about had myself convinced to buy one of them big charge controlers but still not too happy with xantrex. Since I already had the GTI, figured I would give this idea a try. I did order a midnight 150 to use on my 48 vdc generator to charge my 24 volt battery. Generator can output 95 amp for 48 vdc charging. Hope  Half  Crazy or someone from midnight can tell me the limit I should set the charge controler at. The battery is a new Crown 12-85-13 with 635 amp @ 20 hr rate. I am going to use the GTI setup previously explained for the winter. My array of 16 158 watt panels is wired at high voltage and I don,t feel like doing another  100 ft. run of conduit I had to dig by hand just to use the lower voltage charge controler.  Solarvic

digimart

I have installed a 1600 Watts, 48VDC  Solar panels array, and for battery storage I have bank of 4 batteries ( 12 x 4 = 48VDC) .  My Inverter is a 3 KVA with AC output @ 220V. The Inverter does not have any panel / meter to display the battery status, and for this I am looking for a suitable monitor.

My primary purpose is to get info of Charge Status / level of my battery bank , and secondary purpose is to get Solar ( DC current ) going in the batteries, and  DC current going out of batteries.  The battery monitor is more important as I need to know batteries strength remaining, and thus plan to start generator etc for charging.

Are there any such products available off-the-shelf  OR  this has to be assembled ?

Regards.
Omar S Chaudhry
DigiMart
Lahore, Pakistan

Tinman

Trimetric. Shows everything you might want to know, in ,out rate of draw, remaining amps etc.

boB

Quote from: Tinman on April 08, 2012, 12:17:07 PM
Trimetric. Shows everything you might want to know, in ,out rate of draw, remaining amps etc.

Yes, the Trimetric or Pentametric from Bogart Engineering is pretty much the industry standard.
It is a stand alone monitor.  We will have one too, but not for a little while yet.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Alanbrad

as replied it depends on number of current carrying conductors. if the numbers are less, then there is no problem at all.