Kid on a golf cart?

Started by ai4px, March 03, 2017, 08:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ai4px

I've searched the forum and saw mention of a golf cart in a thread about a sawmill, but nothing to address my question....

I'd like to use a Kid to charge my golf cart.  I'd like to use the golf cart day to day and then in time of emergency use the 48v batteries in the cart to run an inverter for some loads in the house.

So should I mount the Kid on the wall in my shop hooked to PV all the time and disconnect the batteries when I use the cart, or mount the Kid in the golf cart and hooked to batteries all the time?

TomW

This was similar to a plan I had.

Difference being I was going to mount leftover panels I had from a previous system as a "roof" and keep it all connected all the time.

Probably need to use breakers / switches to isolate the controller during your change overs to prevent arcing when you plug in the cart.

I would NOT leave The Kid connected to any source when disconnected from the batteries.  It is pretty universal to power up the battery side first and then turn on the source. You should have breakers in these positions anyway so they can act as the disconnects.

If it was me, I would mount the controller on the cart and connect to the panels as needed. Maybe use Anderson Power Pole connectors of the correct rating.Then you can use the controller as a battery monitor of sorts. With a breaker to disconnect it when not charging or in use for extended periods to avoid parasitic loads from it.

Just from here

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: TomW on March 03, 2017, 09:58:14 AM
This was similar to a plan I had.

Difference being I was going to mount leftover panels I had from a previous system as a "roof" and keep it all connected all the time.

Probably need to use breakers / switches to isolate the controller during your change overs to prevent arcing when you plug in the cart.

I would NOT leave The Kid connected to any source when disconnected from the batteries.  It is pretty universal to power up the battery side first and then turn on the source. You should have breakers in these positions anyway so they can act as the disconnects.

If it was me, I would mount the controller on the cart and connect to the panels as needed. Maybe use Anderson Power Pole connectors of the correct rating.Then you can use the controller as a battery monitor of sorts. With a breaker to disconnect it when not charging or in use for extended periods to avoid parasitic loads from it.

Just from here

Tom

These days I am liking the radio control type power connectors much better over Anderson Power Poles - specifically the XT type - there are 60 and 90 amp versions  . You can also get them on ebay but some of those have plastic instead of nylon housings so choose accordingly .

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/nylon-xt60-connectors-male-female-5-pairs-genuine.html

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

CDN-VT

Really !
That Will never work !!

Don't do it !!
http://kb1uas.com/mnsforum/index.php?topic=3142.0

You will fail ;)
VT

Edit Add , I was sending a link of one Golf Cart that has been modified as what the original post was about .
As I don't get slapstick humor , I can see Brit / Auzi & canuk  humor is lost as we most have hidden or tongue  in cheeky .. Check the link above , on my original post , as well I had the cart out today since the snow has gone from many areas on the ranch
VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

mike90045

QuoteThese days I am liking the radio control type power connectors much better over Anderson Power Poles - specifically the XT type - there are 60 and 90 amp versions  . You can also get them on ebay but some of those have plastic instead of nylon housings so choose accordingly .

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/nylon-xt60-connectors-male-female-5-pairs-genuine.html

Nylon does not take UV well.  Even the black zip-ties only last a couple years,  Anderson Conn are mounted on front grills of tow trucks and police cars for jumper cable use

So, I'd park 2 panels on the cart, and the controller there too, and plug in more panels at select parking sites.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: mike90045 on March 04, 2017, 02:05:48 AM
QuoteThese days I am liking the radio control type power connectors much better over Anderson Power Poles - specifically the XT type - there are 60 and 90 amp versions  . You can also get them on ebay but some of those have plastic instead of nylon housings so choose accordingly .

Nylon does not take UV well.  Even the black zip-ties only last a couple years,  Anderson Conn are mounted on front grills of tow trucks and police cars for jumper cable use

So, I'd park 2 panels on the cart, and the controller there too, and plug in more panels at select parking sites.

I just looked it up Mike and you are right - nylon has poor UV qualities unless it is certain types.
They don't say how long it lasts . If it was out of the sun should be okay for awhile. They certainly aren't waterproof anyway.  I still like them compared  to the smaller Anderson 30 amp plugs. The larger Anderson connectors do seem rugged. 
Though I am known to use all kinds of indoor cables outdoors ( just because I had them for free ) and have found it takes a long time for some things to deteriorate in the sun . But yeah it eventually does .  I had some Cat 6 cable outside for many years and the outside jacket faded and cracked in a few places but whatever they used for the inside wires insulation - that stuff didn't seem to deteriorate much at all even with the wires exposed in the elements.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

TomW

Quote from: CDN-VT on March 04, 2017, 01:41:18 AM
Really !
That Will never work !!

Don't do it !!

You will fail !!
VT

VT;

Hard to tell who you are responding to unless you quote their post.

This leads to confusion in threads where multiple ideas are proposed.

So, who are you replying to? Or at least say "what" will fail. Please.

Connectors, panels, controller, golf cart?

That link is to a longish thread also with multiple possible relationship  to this thread.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

CDN-VT

Quote from: TomW on March 04, 2017, 09:30:38 AM
Quote from: CDN-VT on March 04, 2017, 01:41:18 AM
Really !
That Will never work !!

Don't do it !!

You will fail ;)
VT

VT;

Hard to tell who you are responding to unless you quote their post.

This leads to confusion in threads where multiple ideas are proposed.

So, who are you replying to? Or at least say "what" will fail. Please.

Connectors, panels, controller, golf cart?

That link is to a longish thread also with multiple possible relationship  to this thread.

Tom

TOM
-------I was sending a link of one Golf Cart that has been modified as what the original post was about .
As I don't get slapstick humor , I can see Brit / Auzi & canuk  humor is lost as we mostly have hidden or tongue  in cheeky ..

Check the link above , on my original post , as well I had the cart out today since the snow has gone from many areas on the ranch
VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels