SETTING UP ZEPHYER FAN TO RUN OFF AUX 1

Started by homeskillet, February 20, 2019, 12:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homeskillet

I HAVE A 48VDC OFF GRID SYSTEM USING 4 MIDNIGHT SOLAR CLASSIC 150'S CC,  2 Outback radians and a 2000 A/H battery.     I CURRENTLY HAVE A 12 VDC BILGE FAN USED TO VENT MY BATTERY BOX.   I MANUALLY HAVE TO TURN IT ON AND OFF.   I HAVE READ THAT I CAN USE  the Classic 150's AUX 1 TO RUN a Zephyer FAN DIRECTLY FROM ONE OF MY 4 CC'S and that the AUX 1 can be programmed to turn the fan on and off at different set points.    THE MANUAL IS KIND OF VAGUE ABOUT THIS SO I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS I HOPE YOU ALL CAN ANSWER.  Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated

Homeskillet

1) AUX 1 will ONLY output 12 vdc...........even though the Charge controller itself is outputting 48 vdc?
2) There are shorting plugs that must be adjusted depending on which way i want to utilize AUX 1?
3 Does anyone know of a tutorial video on how to set this up?

FNG

On the circuit board there are two jumpers, When they are in the right most position Aux1 is a dry contact and when in the left most position Aux 1 puts out 12v

So in your case you would want the jumpers to the right and you run the 48vdc + through the Aux1 to switch the vent van, As for programming this document should help with that (Just ignore the part about the jumpers)

Chester

Help ... I am new here, no expert and want to install a 24v Zephyer fan to vent my 24V battery box.  I do understand that the powered side of Aux1 is limited to 200milliamps so I will need to use Aux1 as a "dry switch".  The document attached to this string says "If more is required, you will need to use this signal to power the coil of a small relay."  Does this mean I need another relay between the Aux1 terminals on the Classic and the Zephyer fan? Or, can the fan be wired directly (through a 1 amp breaker between the 24v battery plus and load) to the Aux1 terminals in the dry switch jumper configuration?

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Chester on November 23, 2021, 10:04:31 AM
Help ... I am new here, no expert and want to install a 24v Zephyer fan to vent my 24V battery box.  I do understand that the powered side of Aux1 is limited to 200milliamps so I will need to use Aux1 as a "dry switch".  The document attached to this string says "If more is required, you will need to use this signal to power the coil of a small relay."  Does this mean I need another relay between the Aux1 terminals on the Classic and the Zephyer fan? Or, can the fan be wired directly (through a 1 amp breaker between the 24v battery plus and load) to the Aux1 terminals in the dry switch jumper configuration?
You would use Aux 1 to go to the control of a relay. That will turn the relay contacts on or off . So you would treat the relay contacts as a normal switch.
So when energized the 12v from Aux 1 ( the signal)  goes to the coil part of the relay , then the relay contacts open or close from that ( powering your fan on and of from your 24v power source)
You can use a solid state relay or regular type relay as long as their coil ratings are good to 12v and contacts rated to whatever current you are switching.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Chester

Thanks for the quick reply Larry.  So you would use AUX1 with the jumpers to the left and isolate the Midnite form the 24V load through an external relay ... that makes sense to me.  Having said that, what is the purpose of moving the jumpers to the right to create a "dry connect"?  When and how would you use that?  Any thoughts?

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Chester on November 23, 2021, 12:17:57 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Larry.  So you would use AUX1 with the jumpers to the left and isolate the Midnite form the 24V load through an external relay ... that makes sense to me.  Having said that, what is the purpose of moving the jumpers to the right to create a "dry connect"?  When and how would you use that?  Any thoughts?
I haven't used mine that way but I a thinking that it would then just act like a switch without providing any power. But that switch is limited to only 200ma . In my mind better to just use a relay and then you can control whatever loads you want to . You probably have AUX 2 being used for Whizbang as most people do . But if you had AUX 2 available and used a ssr you can have it control a resistance load via PWM . So for example I have two classics and I use the second AUX to relay to a water heater element. I have that one set up as Waste Not so what that does is it can control the current to heater element . If my classic goes to Absorb and has 2 extra amps it will send that much to water heater element, if it has more extra - it lets more power through . But the nice thing is that it always satisfies the batteries need to absorb or float first.
Of course with just running vent fan like you want to do Aux1 is just fine to switch things on and off.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable