2 Arrays, 2 CCs, 1 Battery, 2 PV Minus Busses?

Started by Vic, January 31, 2012, 12:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

Am down to the nuts and bolts of installation of a new system.

Why would I want to separate the minus buss for each identical PV Array?

At this point,  will not be using GFP in either of the Classic-150 CCs.  Seems to me that separation of the PV minus busses would then require two SPDs,   as the there would be two returns.

Am using an old,  but new OB PSPV Combiner.  It does have provision for a second PV minus buss.

Guess that the "safe" thing to do is to add the second minus busbar,  and tie them together for now,   and use a single SPD-115  for now (?).

Thanks for any guidance,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Unless I am missing something (it happens !),  the SPD center leg should go to GND and not either of the negatives.

OK, now what am I missing ?   My mind ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

OH!!  OK,,  Thanks boB.  I missed  that ..  Thanks.

Any good reason to have separate PV Minus Busses??  Recall that some MN Combiners have dual minus busses .. like the 12 Breaker modes (?).
Thanks .. should look at the DIAGRAM!  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

Halfcrazy

Vic the isolated PV negatives is there for things like 2 seperate grid tie inverters or say a pair of XW charge controllers as they need PV- isolated. There could be times when using an FNDC on an Outback system where you would want these isolated but for normal situations they can all be connected.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Vic

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the added detail.

I do have a spare Buss,  and guess that will add that to the Combiner,  and tie the two busses together,  just in case separate busses are needed later.

Thanks again Vic