Connecting whiz bang jr to victron bmv shunt

Started by Narrowboat boy, May 23, 2020, 03:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narrowboat boy

Hi is it possible to connect whiz bang jr to a victron bmv 712 shunt
Spec is the same but victron has a quick connect pcb attached I am guessing this can be removed looking at pics and possibly connected on top of whizbsng once it is connected but does anyone know if terminal spacing is the same on these shunts ? Has anyone tried this ?

Many thanks
Simon 
Off grid boater with 6 x 270w Perlight delta black panels , Midnite Classic 150 ,Whizbang Jr /
Victron Phoenix Multiplus 120/12/3000 inverter /charger combo , 5 x Victron 110 Ah Deep Cycle AGM Batteries , Honda 2.2eui back up gennie

boB

If their shunt is a 500 amp at 50 mV  one then there is a very good chance you can have both circuits on the same shunt.

Maybe someone that knows more about their system will help out here

I know that some of our support folks know about the Victron systems.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

bhjones

A week ago I called about this issue. Well, a different issue (ways to pull data off a 200sl), but that let to a recommendation of using the Whiz Bang Jr and since I have a BVM I asked about dual shunts in line (thinking that may be required). The tech guy thought both on same shunt would work fine. I'm still wrapping up a new installation at an off grid camp and haven't ordered the parts to try it yet.

In my head, I think I may need to make some brass standoffs to stack both boards on the shunt. Given the configuration of the BVM and Jr boards, I think the Jr will need to go on bottom.

I'll likely try this in the next month or so. Once it's in I'll post a comment and some photos.

boB

Great !  Photos would be nice.

Either method can work but two shunts in series take more space and maybe dissipate a few extra watts.  Neither is a big deal of course.

The only hassle of the single shunt method is getting the standoffs right.  We did (or do) have a little kit that allows the WB Jr.
and the Magnum BMS to attach to the  same shunt but not sure if the standoffs are the right length for your situation.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me