No Remote Local App Connection after registering on MyMidnite

Started by RexAJohnson, July 22, 2020, 02:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RexAJohnson

I set up a remote connection to my classic a few days ago and have been able to reliably connect to it over the internet with the local app.  That is until I registered on MyMidnite and entered the MAC addr and ID #.  Now suddenly I cannot connect.  THe classic does not show up on MyMidnite either.  Coincidence, or did registering on MyMidnite actually mess up my remote connection?  I am over 2hr drive away from the cabin.  I can ping a raspberry pi I have on the local network at the cabin, so I know the local network is up.  Any ideas?

ClassicCrazy

My guess is that if you didn't have the ip address set as static or reserved in your router maybe the DHCP changed the IP address ? Can  you get into your router remotely and look at the router Lan and see ?
The MyMidnite shouldn't have changed anything with the IP .

Check out in the Homebrew software section on the forums - Graham and Matt have made remote monitoring app for Raspberry Pi that works really well. It can either put out MQTT or regular Modbus. There are some advantages to using MQTT in that you don't have to open up a port on the Pi.

If you don't find it let me know and I can look for the exact forum posts.
Or look here
https://github.com/ClassicDIY
there is a wiki with lots of details for setting it all up.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

RexAJohnson

Thanks for the info Larry.  I have the classic set to a static IP.  It had worked fine for a few days, had access immediately before setting up MM2, no access immediately after.  I reached out to the website contact, and got this quick response from Kyle:

Kyle M
Wed, Jul 22, 2:52 PM (16 hours ago)
to me

The Classic can only handle 2 internet connections at one time. Sometimes when the MyMidnite2 server is trying to connect to the Classic while the Local App is running you can have the equivalency of a pop lock.

Normally I would try to reboot the Classic to resolve this. Since you are not on site, rebooting your router might give you access to the Local app again.

Other than that you will need to get to the Classic and manually reboot it.

I guess I'll have to wait until I get back to the cabin and reboot.

I'll look into the raspberry pi development after I try out MM.

Do you know if "internet access", or something like that, needs to be enabled for MM to work, and if that setting is enabled by default?

Thanks!

RexAJohnson

I read the manual - should have before I left the cabin.  Anyway it answers my last question.  The setting is "Web Access", and it is NOT enabled by default . . . "To respect your privacy, however, it is required that you manually enable this feature if you’d like to use it.".

Next trip up to the cabin I'll get all my ducks in a row.  THanks for the help.

ClassicCrazy

The Classic can only have one Modbus over IP connection at a time. The MyMidnite is not that kind of a connection and only sends some data out. Having both Local Status App and MyMidnite on at the same time has never been an issue here.
The problem is if you connect up with something like Grahams Android Classic Monitoring app that gets it's data modbus over IP then the Local Status App would not connect until the other Android program is disconnected. And vice versa.  One at a time. But if you use MQTT then you can have multiple devices all get the MQTT data at the same time . Also Graham has another option of using a ESP32 that connects over serial but makes another Modbus IP port so you could have more than one connect at the same time that way . There is no limit on the amount of modbus serial connections - just the number of serial output jacks on the Classic - there are three jacks and the MNGP connects to the one on top  for example.

Oh and yes to that turning on the My Midnite setting - gotta do that .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable