Previous topic - Next topic

Jrosado99

Hi,

This is my system:
1. Inverter Schneider 4048
2. Midnite Classic 150
3. (6) LG Mono X Plus 360W solar panel
4. Rolls Battery 375AH C20 rate

I would like to know wich PV arrays suits my needs. According to your manual page 8-9 a 90v PV input is best for maximum power transfer to the batteries. Is this the best configurations for your charge controllers?
I understood that having more input voltage was more convenient and more efficent. Understanding this would help configure my panels in the best way possible, either 3 series or 2 series connection. Thank You.

Vic

Hi Jrosado..,

Generally with a Classic 150 on a 48 V Flooded Lead Acid (FLA) battery (and we cannot tell this),  STC String Vmps of 85 - 90-ish volts is ideal.   If your batteries are FLAs,   then,  strings of two PVs (even if they have 72 Cells)  will often not have a string voltage that is high enough to fully charge/EQ the battery.

Relatively lower string voltages to the Classic,  will increase its charge efficiency a bit,   as long as this voltage is high enough to fully charge the battery,   and/or allow an EQ voltage that is high enough,  if the system uses FLA batteries.

We also do not know the exact model of PVs,  but at that 360 Watt power level,  they could be 60,  or 72 cell PVs.  Some modern 72 Cell PVs in strings of three can have an almost too-high string Vmp/Voc for a Classic 150.

Please use the Classic String Sizer,  here:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/sizingTool/index.php

Even more info on your exact batteries and PVs would help us give better advice   ...

Thanks,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Jrosado99

Thank You for your answer. Yes, my PV are 360w 72 cells. My batteries are flooded lead acid 375ah at 48v. Im checking the logs in my midnite, and my PV input voltage is around 85 to 90v due to the 2 series connection i currently have in my pv array. Is this enough for my battery bank ? I could increase to 3 serie connection to have around 140V Open circuit.( LG Mono X Plus). I have read the manual and the classic comes with a “hyper voc” function. I guess you are familiar with. I suppose to protect the charge controller and my batteries in case the voltage increases. What do you think is best ? Stick with my current array or having more input voltage is better for FLA batteries ?

Vic

Hi Jrosado,

OK,  just to try to have the exact data on your PVs and battery,   two questions:

1. What is the exact model number of your PVs ??  This is on the label on the back of each PV.
  2. What is the exact model number of your Surrette batteries ??  This is on the label on the side of the batteries.

It is important to know in accurate detail what your system IS composed of.   Otherwise you could make decisions that might not work well with the actual components of your system.

Thanks,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

Jrosado99

As i already said. My panels are LG Mono X Plus 360w model. A quick search on google and it will show you the data sheet. My batteries are the Rolls S6 L16 375ah model a total of 8 for a 48V system.
Should I stick with the 2 series connection or increase it to 3 series connection ?

P.S. i have 6 panels and thinking to buy more for a situation with shadows in my house. Which connection will be best? This will determine if i have to buy 3 more panels or 4.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Jrosado99 on August 06, 2020, 02:59:22 PM
As i already said. My panels are LG Mono X Plus 360w model. A quick search on google and it will show you the data sheet. My batteries are the Rolls S6 L16 375ah model a total of 8 for a 48V system.
Should I stick with the 2 series connection or increase it to 3 series connection ?

P.S. i have 6 panels and thinking to buy more for a situation with shadows in my house. Which connection will be best? This will determine if i have to buy 3 more panels or 4.

If you take the data from those panels and put them in this calculator it will give you a lot of information on best setup for the Classic .
http://www.midnitesolar.com/sizingTool/index.php

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Quote from: Jrosado99 on August 06, 2020, 02:59:22 PM
As i already said. My panels are LG Mono X Plus 360w model. A quick search on google and it will show you the data sheet   ...   " 

Yes,  indeed,   you did.

Had wanted to ask a couple more questions about your environment outside,   and inside,  where the batteries and Classic are located.  But trying to get these answers is not needed,   as,  has been noted twice before,   YOU can run the data from your PV spec sheet,  environment,   and come up with some guidance  from the results of the Classic String Sizing Tool.

As shown in the following Link,  there are several LG PVs that are available:
https://www.solarelectricsupply.com/solar-panels/lg-solar-modules

Just wanted a confirmation of your PV module model number before running that data through the String Sizer that is Linked,   above.

You mentioned that your LG PVs are 72 cells.   

With a Classic 150,   your exact PVs seem to place your system near two different sides of the operating envelope  --  strings of two PVs  appear to have a bit too low a string Vmp,   and strings of three PVs may well have a bit too high string Vmp,   and perhaps too high a string Voc (Vin to the Classic 150).  The outdoor Max and Min temperatures have an effect  on the decision of string configuration

When you run the string Sizer,  please use a reasonable maximum and minimum outdoor temperature for the location of the system.   Having you run this  data through the String Sizer,  will keep us from needing to ask you what is this temperature range,   etc.

Sorry to have been too demanding for "exact data".    Good Luck.  Vic

Jrosado99

No need to sorry Sir. Thank You for your time and your Answer. I will definitely check this... i live at PR and temperatures can be very high some times.

Vic

Am short on time,  right now.   But is you could tell us the lowest and highest outdoor temperatures for the system location,  I could run the Classic String Sizer.   And post the results here,  probably later today.

Just to try to make sure that we have the correct data sheet your the PVs that you are using,
Is the model number of your LG PVs:  360S2W-A5  ??
Here is a link to that data sheet:
https://www.lgenergy.com.au/uploads/download_files/d95acb53f1726da69196a3f3d3e9d1859dda1ff5.pdf

It makes no sense running the incorrect data through the SIzer,   and perhaps drawing incorrect conclusions   ...   Thanks

More later,   Vic

Vic

In the intirim,

Did run the Classic String Sizer,   three strings of two,   and two strings of three,  each Attached below.   Guessed at your max and min outdoor temperatures.  Having correct info on temperatures is very important.

Really seems,   that   strings of two PVs (if I used the correct model on LGs)  has too low string Vmp.   Strings of three will reduce the Classic efficiency a bie (and increase its heating),   but is probably OK,  if your lowest temperatures are not too low.

Later,  Vic

Jrosado99

Lowest outdoor temperature 18C, highest outdoor temperature around 31-33C. Here I attach the link to the data sheet i use for my panels.
https://www.lg.com/global/business/download/resources/solar/MonoX%20Plus%2072cells.pdf

Thank You for your time.

Vic

Hi Jrosado..,

Thanks for the Link to your PV data.  That appears to be the data used in the String Sizer.

Thanks,  too,  for the temperature range.   My guess was 3C for the lowest,   and 36C as the highest,   so,  you appear to be OK there.  With strings of three,   the Classic is projected to begin using Hyper Voc (where it rests,  until the PVs warm above that temperature. But it appears that your temps will not get that low.

It does seem that strings of three PV will be best in your environment.   Strings of two would work much of the time,   but  with strings of three,   the Classic will have more range to find the MPP that will produce the most power at that time.

f
More later.   Good Luck with the WX.   Vic

Jrosado99

This is de PDF generated from the sizing tool. What can you tell me about both configurations? One is with the 2S5P configuration and the other one is 3S3P configuration.

Vic

Hi Jrosado..,

Thanks for running the Classic Sizer for your proposed configurations.

I still believe that the 2S5P configuration (really just as the 2S3P),   would result in a too low string Vmp for hot days,   and when trying to EQ your FLA batteries (especially when the batteries are cool,   on a warm day).

The rule of thumb for most any MPPT CC,   is noted in the following footnote taken from one of your Sizer runs:

"NOTE: Generally speaking you'll want to use the Classic 150 or 200 as they are less expensive and will handle more power. With MPPT controllers the
higher the input voltage the less efficient they are. This is not a large value but it will add up to a little more heat in the controller and a point or two less
in efficiency. BUT you also have to be careful not to have the input voltage to low. Most all MPPT controllers will want to see a minimum of 130% of the
actual high battery voltage. So if we have a 48v battery and it has an Equalize voltage if 62.3 volts than we would multiply that by 130% and we would
need a minimum of 81 volts on the input on the hottest day of the year in order to have enough headroom for the MPPT to work"

Two of your PVs in series  will NOT comply with this advice.   It is good that your system is in a very moderate climate  --   not too hot,   and never cold.   In many locations  with  cool/cold temperatures,   these PVs have a bit too high Vmp and Vocs to run well on a Classic 150,  with  FLAs.

Would suggest that you need strings of three,   even though you will have a bit less apparent power from nine PV vs ten.

All my opinion.    Does the above make some sense to you?   Thanks,   Vic

Jrosado99

Thank for your answer. I read that note in the sizing tool and still got confused. Yes, they recomend a lower voltage for optimum perfomance but my PV voltage wil not be close enought at high temperatures. I guess i am in a difficult spot situation. However, i checked my CC and the PV input voltage is at 77VDC with a load of 800~ish Watts. i think i should change my conf. for a 3S connection. Even i loss a little bit in efficient.

Can I connect 2 different solar panels of 370w also 72 cells with one Lg 360w in series? They are both Mono panels. The reason because i coulndt find my current panels in my location. I know this is not ideal, but i need those extra panels.