Mounting Questions

Started by Electrical Joe, August 14, 2020, 10:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electrical Joe

Hi, I had two questions when it comes to mounting the Midnite Classic that I hope some expert out there could clear up for me.

1. Can the Midnite Classic be mounted on a flat surface? The manual is unclear on this. The manual says on page 11 "mount upright whenever possible"

2. Is there a problem with mounting the Midnite Classic on an electrically conductive material such as an aluminum plate?

Thanks!

Vic

Hello Joe,   Welcome to the  Forum.

Re 1:   Yes,  a  flat surface  would be great.

Re 2:   An Al  plate,  heatsink,   etc should help the  Classic have  a  bit lower operating temperature.

All IMO,      Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Electrical Joe

Thanks for the warm welcome! Sorry, I just realized that my first question was worded incorrectly. Where I said "flat" I should have said "horizontal", as in a table top. I wish the manual would be more clear on this.

As for question two, yes I was thinking the same thing, that it might help provide a bit of cooling for the hot running electronics. I am mostly just a bit concerned about fire. Though my concern doesn't seem to be shared by many as often, on youtube, I see inverters, chargers, bus bars, fuse and switch mounts, mounted directly on plywood! Tanks again!

Vic

Hi Joe,

If at all possible,   you would probably be better off,  with the Classic  mounted with the Turbo fan at the top,   and the wiring compartment at the bottom.  This would make the MNGP display be easily readable when is mounted onto the Classic.

This allows some natural convection to help cool it.

Historically,   it has been quite common to mount our electronics onto plywood,   at least,  as we have done and seen in this area.

Good luck,   and you asked good  questions.    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!