Radian 8048 under the covers.

Started by onanparts, March 11, 2012, 03:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onanparts

The only pic online I could find of the Radian is the standard outside image.  :(

In this thread we are going undercover! As in lots of internal pics along with a few personal comments, most good but a few not so good concerning "access" to certain areas for "in the field repairs" if that is ever needed. Removing the FET board is a MAJOR pain compared to one in an FX series. More on that as we go along. First pics top cover removed.

I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

onanparts

Next up the power supply board.

onanparts

This one just for fun... :)

Robin

Although I have not had to replace the fet board in a Radian yet, I can tell you it is the identical fet board used in the FX and VFX inverters. It was a fellow on the MidNite payroll that did the original sheet metal design of the Radian.
We had an agreement to furnish the breaker box for the Radian. To insure that our box was going to match up with it, we did the design of the inverter too. The paln was to re-use a lot of the XW E-panel parts. The original Radian was even going to be painted the same color as the XW.
So much for agreements with so called friends.
We are working on our own E-Panel for the Radian once again. Our will be able to support one or two inverters. Any more than that and OB can have it.
Robin Gudgel

onanparts

To remove the covers on either module access to 3 of the 17 screws is "blocked" by the chassis. To get those last 3 out you must remove the battery terminal nuts and loosen the two 10MM nuts at the fan end of the module so it can be slid "up". The module weighs north of 60Lbs so doing this alone and then holding it up in place while turning the 10MM nuts to keep it in place should be fun unless you have an extra pair of hands!

onanparts

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the info! To satisfy my own curiosity about the "insides" of the Radian and boB's interest in seeing some "nudes" of it I got ambitious last night and decided to find out what it takes to get that FET board out in the unlikely and rare event that it would need to be replaced. Those very few people that are used to your mechanical design on the FX and ease of getting that board in and out will not be happy campers if it's required on a Radian.

The chassis design just needs some relief at the bottom to allow those 3 screws to be removed so a quick inspection is possible of the module or modules.  To get the FET board out the module has to be removed no matter what so it's not a big deal. Just thought since I was snapping pics I would mention the minor issue. I will say for certain that the structural design of the Radian is VERY robust!

onanparts

Yup! As Robin stated the Radian does use the same FET board as the FX series.  :)

onanparts

AC in/out side.

onanparts

A closer look at the FET board. Plan on removing dozens of screws and the better part of an hour to extract it. On the FX series you can remove and replace the same board in the time it takes just to get one out of a Radian. Actually on an FX it might be closer to 15 or 20 minutes tops.

onanparts

I think this is the "water-cooled pony harness section with fuel injection". If you don't get that you missed out on Mr. Zappa and his Mothers of Invention.  ;)

onanparts

Quote from: Robin on March 11, 2012, 03:55:44 PM
We had an agreement to furnish the breaker box for the Radian. To insure that our box was going to match up with it, we did the design of the inverter too.

Robin, how much of the inverter design was by Midnite? Clearly the "modules" are FX internals but what about the AC in/out sections?

boB

Quote from: onanparts on March 11, 2012, 05:10:29 PM
I think this is the "water-cooled pony harness section with fuel injection". If you don't get that you missed out on Mr. Zappa and his Mothers of Invention.  ;)

Thanks TJ for this look into the deep dark depths of "The Beast" !!

So, I think that this section, the pony, is the only processor in the Radian, is that correct ??

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

onanparts

Quote from: boB on March 11, 2012, 07:46:24 PM
Quote from: onanparts on March 11, 2012, 05:10:29 PM

Thanks TJ for this look into the deep dark depths of "The Beast" !!

So, I think that this section, the pony, is the only processor in the Radian, is that correct ??

boB

Correct. I'll post some better pics of the "pony" tomorrow.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

onanparts

The camera I was using yesterday was not very good at macro shots. This pic of the Radian/FX FET board came out OK. Better "Pony" pics coming with a Kodak Brownie soon.  :)

onanparts

The Beast ADC board.