News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

1 wbjr and 3 classic 250s

Started by The Ugly One, April 20, 2021, 01:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ugly One

so can I take the one wire from the wbjr. Connect it to the 1st classic, then continue the wire over to the 2nd classic, and so on for the 3rd classic. What could go wrong?
I take them Ray Rays, and turn them into that Boom Boom Zap Juice.

Vic

Quote from: The Ugly One on April 20, 2021, 01:43:35 AM
so can I take the one wire from the wbjr. Connect it to the 1st classic, then continue the wire over to the 2nd classic, and so on for the 3rd classic. What could go wrong?

Hi T U O,

One Shunt,   and one WbJr  will monitor current from all charge sources and discharges,   as it is (when the Shunt and returns are correctly wired).

Am sure that wiring the purple wire to the Aux 2 of each of the Classics would make the Wb disfunctional.

Am assuming what you might be trying to do,  in wiring all Classic Aux 2s together.

FWIW,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

The Ugly One

yes that is what I am wanting to do. Have not tried it incase it does something that cost $ to fix.  But how would wiring that return purple wire to the aux 2 ports make the wb dysfunctional? I thought it was a signal wire. Sending a signal to get acknowledge. Or is the signal absorbed by the classic and there for the signal would have to have 3x the available amount to be shared to all. So then a shunt and a wb for each classic? I.e. the shunt is a monitor tool that is capable of working with one monitoring devise? I have mine wired as follow...

Shunt, wbjr, sunny island current wire, end screw holding them all to the shunt .

So mine is wired wrong with both equipment connected to 1 shunt?

Thanks for the help with understanding these things.

Vic

Hi T U O,

The way that the WbJr uses Aux 2,  is,   as the Wb power source,  for short periods of time,  but mostly the Wb communicates data on that single purple wire to the Classic.

Since ALL of the charge and discharge currents,  form ALL charge sources,   and discharges,  appear on the negative battery cable,  ONLY ONE SHUNT,  and ONE WbJr,  connecting to ONLY ONE Classic is needed.

After reading your Signature,  it appears that you have two Classic 250 CPs,   and one standard Classic.   The 250 CPs appear to have no electronics for the Aux functions,   there is some question weather the 250 CPs have the terminal blocks for the Aux functions.   BUT,  it seems quite clear,  that the Aux functions  are not present in the 250 CPs.   So,  no need to worry about,  or trying to use any Aux functions on your Classic 250 CPs.   So,  keep it simple.   Connect THE WbJr purple lead to the standard Classic Aux 2,  from the single Shunt,  that is wired into the negative battery cable.

That is the way that I read things.    FWIW,   VIc 
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

The Ugly One

Well with my signature... I should update it. But I have been setting up systems for neighbors so some of my questions are for my own questions that I want to implement. But what you are saying in a nut shell.... if I connect 1 wbjr to only 1 shunt. The classic that will have the wbjr attached to it should be the master/main classic that will have the rest of the classics attached to it via the follow me. So the information that the first classic will have received from the wbjr will be stored in that classic.(example on the local app the classic with the wb attached will show the info on the screen. But when I check the other classics info on the app. It doesn't show any info from the wbjr.) So my thought was in order to have each classic be able to gather that information. So that way they are more in tune with what the system is doing.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: The Ugly One on April 24, 2021, 11:46:38 PM
Well with my signature... I should update it. But I have been setting up systems for neighbors so some of my questions are for my own questions that I want to implement. But what you are saying in a nut shell.... if I connect 1 wbjr to only 1 shunt. The classic that will have the wbjr attached to it should be the master/main classic that will have the rest of the classics attached to it via the follow me. So the information that the first classic will have received from the wbjr will be stored in that classic.(example on the local app the classic with the wb attached will show the info on the screen. But when I check the other classics info on the app. It doesn't show any info from the wbjr.) So my thought was in order to have each classic be able to gather that information. So that way they are more in tune with what the system is doing.

It depends on how you wire your system to the battery.  You are correct in that only the one Classic will show the Whizbang info. And it is important to have that as the lead in Follow Me if you are using Ending amps. But you can have the one Whizbang and shunt show the current going into the batteries by wiring their negative wires ( that would go to battery) on the same side of shunt that all the other negative wires are. The other side of the shunt would only have one connection going to the battery and the battery wouldn't have any other connections to it . In that case your Whizbang will show the total off the other controllers power input to the battery along with the system the Whizbang is on.  You would have to subtract the output of the other Classics battery charging amps from the total to know what each is doing. This would be harder to do with three controllers.
I have mine wired this way but with only two controllers.  So if the Whizbang is showing 25 amps going to the battery but it is only putting out 10 amps - I know the other controller is contributing 15 amps . This is of course minus the loads which are already subtracted from system amps .
Hope that makes sense.
Also  you may be confused with the shunt being able to be shared . Two devices could share one shunt but that is at the sense wires connection ( voltage drop across shunt) . But the Whizbang is sending out that sense data that is already calculated via just one wire to Aux2 of Classic. So for example if you had an inverter or something else that also used a shunt of the same type - you could connect it's sense wires to the same shunt where the Whizbang connects . The Whizbang comes with extended mounting screws to be able to do just that. But the wire from the Whizbang can only go to one Classic like Vic said.

Larry 

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

The Ugly One

Thanks. That answered my question. I am trying to fully understand the shunts job. I do have the negative of all the classics and inverters going to one side and only the battery negative on the other so that way it will know whats going on with the power. Now do you forsee any issue with the wbjr attached to the shunt then the sunny islands sensor wire connected onto the shunt on top of the wbjr? Will the shunts readings be effected passing thru one(wbjr) and over to the other (sunny island).

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: The Ugly One on April 26, 2021, 11:42:54 PM
Thanks. That answered my question. I am trying to fully understand the shunts job. I do have the negative of all the classics and inverters going to one side and only the battery negative on the other so that way it will know whats going on with the power. Now do you forsee any issue with the wbjr attached to the shunt then the sunny islands sensor wire connected onto the shunt on top of the wbjr? Will the shunts readings be effected passing thru one(wbjr) and over to the other (sunny island).

It shouldn't be a problem to have the two going to one shunt.
They are just reading the voltage drop across the shunt and then doing the calculations in their own processors.
Look at Figure 2 in the instructions - it shows how you can install the extra wires to shunt with hardware that was supplied with Whizbang.
https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/Midnite-whiz-bang-install.pdf

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable