24v wind turbine 3ph AC in to a 24v batt bank. will the classic 150 work for me?

Started by orlan7s, April 08, 2012, 09:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orlan7s

hi i just joined today and first i would like to introduce my self. my name is Orlando i live in Barstow Ca,and I'm in to wind and solar my goal is to be off the grid soon.  i have an outback system 3524 GVFX with a flexmax 80 with 8-195w evergreen solar panels one 24 volt 1kw turbine got it directly from china. considering what its been through its still going. first it melted the slip ring then it fell in a gust of 60+mph winds. in any case I've seen it hit 1900+watts on two occasions I'm using a CC also from china not MPPT I'm looking in to getting the 150 classic and i was told it would not work for my turbine. so before i spend the money I'm trying to find out if it will or not. i was hoping somebody can help me with this.this is one vid of where it shows the watts. http://youtu.be/tWufbYIehns  and this one is when it fell. its a pretty big turbine weighs about 120lbs rotor size 9.2  http://youtu.be/W1K1LSiP2Zg

Halfcrazy

The Classic will definitely help. A wind turbine hooked directly to the battery will only be at its optimal Tip Speed Ratio at one wind speed and that is typically around Cut in or 6-8mph. What happens from there is the blades want to speed up with the wind speed to stay at there most efficient spot but the stator is clamped at battery voltage. What this does is stall the turbine and keep the blades drug down below there optimal TSR.

All that said you would need some form of a Clipper as well to protect the Classic from over voltage and Protect the turbine from Free Wheeling. A Classic 150 and Clipper would work well with that turbine.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

boB

Ooooopppsss !!!    I'm sorry, Orlando.  For some reason I thought you had a Bergey XL.1 which will not work with a Classic as is.
If you have the HY2000 Chinese turbine, it should work fine with the Classic as others have done also.
You will need a Clipper though.

boB

......  What I posted earlier that was wrong because I assumed he had an XL.1 ...........................

Orlando, I see that you also found my youtube channel.

Is your XL.1 one of those that require the Bergey boost controller ?  i.e., is the controller's
output voltage less than the battery voltage normally ??

Thanks,
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

orlan7s

Quote from: boB on April 09, 2012, 01:19:20 PM

Ooooopppsss !!!    I'm sorry, Orlando.  For some reason I thought you had a Bergey XL.1 which will not work with a Classic as is.
If you have the HY2000 Chinese turbine, it should work fine with the Classic as others have done also.

boB

......  What I posted earlier that was wrong because I assumed he had an XL.1 ...........................

Is your XL.1 one of those that require the Bergey boost controller ?  i.e., is the controller's

Thanks,
boB

thanks for the info but i have the 1kw but in any case im selling it and getting another turbine that is single phase 1kw and 60volts dc. that i think should work with the classic also it has mechanical furling witch mine does not have
Quote from: boB on April 09, 2012, 01:19:20 PM

boB

Thanks,
boB

Quote from: orlan7s on April 08, 2012, 09:04:57 PM
hi i just joined today and first i would like to introduce my self. my name is Orlando i live in Barstow Ca,and I'm in to wind and solar my goal is to be off the grid soon.  i have an outback system 3524 GVFX with a flexmax 80 with 8-195w evergreen solar panels one 24 volt 1kw turbine got it directly from china. considering what its been through its still going. first it melted the slip ring then it fell in a gust of 60+mph winds. in any case I've seen it hit 1900+watts on two occasions I'm using a CC also from china not MPPT I'm looking in to getting the 150 classic and i was told it would not work for my turbine. so before i spend the money I'm trying to find out if it will or not. i was hoping somebody can help me with this.this is one vid of where it shows the watts. http://youtu.be/tWufbYIehns  and this one is when it fell. its a pretty big turbine weighs about 120lbs rotor size 9.2  http://youtu.be/W1K1LSiP2Zg