News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Hawke's Bay testing in Texas

Started by Highflyer, August 21, 2021, 06:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weldman

I would of already maxed it out by now out here in SE Montana. Hitting 104 degrees no rain or clouds for a week or more.

Highflyer

It's alive! 

New HB is on the tracker.  Finished up last night.  I can say it does track better in low light than the original HB. After sunset, I was still making 191 watts.  It was able to generate down to 51 watts before it "swept" and could no longer capture any energy.  It captured energy for at least 15 minutes after sunset.  Today is a full sun day, so I should know how it does later today.

Starting HB up on lithium is going to need its own procedures due to the inrush of energy from the lithium batteries.  I tripped a 100 amp breaker doing it the wrong way, but HB is fine.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Highflyer

HB is doing really well so far. 

It was nearly 90F this morning in the barn and HB was making over 60 amps.  The laser said it was only 9 degrees F warmer than the air around it.  NO fans running. 

Also I saw the array produced a maximum of 3231 watts on eight 395 watt panels. I was impressed.  All in all today was partly cloudy but I was still able to generate well over 20kWh.  HB stayed in MPPT because I drain the batteries enough the night before to allow for this test. 

Side note, HB was able to pull power longer after sunset than I expected.  I think the low light tracking is spot on.

So far only a few minor bugs.  I think this one is a real winner so far... I'll report back again soon. 

I think there may be a few software changes to test.  Fingers crossed.

Brian

Robin

I believe you should now have a Barcelona too? I asked Ryan to o send one to Vic also. We are supposed to be sending you a breaker box for the Barcelona too and in about 3 or 4 weeks a ROSIE!!!!!
Robin Gudgel

Vic

Quote from: Robin on September 08, 2022, 01:10:40 AM
I believe you should now have a Barcelona too? I asked Ryan to o send one to Vic also. We are supposed to be sending you a breaker box for the Barcelona too and in about 3 or 4 weeks a ROSIE!!!!!

Hi Robin,

Thank you very much for the Beta Barcelona,  you are too generous !!  Will love to have the chance to test if.  I owe you!   Great progress is quite evident at MidNite Solar.

Take care,  congratulations,  great work,  Thank You, again, Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Highflyer

Robin, I did receive a Barcelona (Thank you for the trust in me to test it with the rest of the new products (man does this look good as well)).  The breaker box is in route.  I have also been told a Rosie should be available.  Now that you say it is a few weeks out, I can build the Wall of Power!

Ryan wants me to test some of the communication functions as well as get as much run time as I can. Well, I dumped half of the water out of the aquaponics system to fill it back up with cold well water and ran the heaters over night.  I also had a big floor fans running, nine extra lights turned on as well as the normal loads.  I dumped 15 kWh out of the batteries over night.  HB made over 20 kWh from a 3.2 kWh array in one day.  By the way it was a very typical partly cloudy day in East Texas.  I was impressed.  I have a few more panels I can add to that array.  I also have enough panels to run Barcelona and more. 

Everything will be in the barn.  In the summer it is hot and humid.  In the winter it is colder.  So the conditions will not be the most favorable, but from what I have seen, HB is laughing at the conditions.  I was making nearly 70 amps with near 100 degree F temps and the fan finally can on LOW.   As I ran the laser thermometer around HB, I don't see any hot spots.  The engineering has been worth it.  The internal sensors also seem right on track.

The new barn has panels as well.  Testing up there should also be easy.  In short, I expect to have all my expectations surpassed.  It has taken longer than anyone wanted, but the energy captured and the flexibility offered are worth it.  And if I do have an issue, I'll be able to talk to Midnite and get an answer from a real person.

The phrase "Game Changer" is tossed around too much these days, but in this case, your products are setting the bar rather high. 

I am having a blast!

By the way, My Rosie will be named Stella, after the woman who inspired the name Rosie during the contest.  She was also one of a kind.  Your work is worthy of what she and all the Rosies did for the cause as part of the greatest generation.  It is a fitting tribute for them all. 
Brian

boB

Quote from: Highflyer on September 09, 2022, 09:31:43 AM

By the way, My Rosie will be named Stella, ...

When I hear the name "Stella", I think of   "Stella my dear"   in the old Star Trek.

Stella number 3000 or something like that.

My Dr's name is also Stella  LOL

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

Stella Fischer was the secretary in the Physics department as I was going through college.  One day we were talking about welding and she told us she was a certified welder back in the day.  Then came the stories about building 5 inch guns and other ship parts for the Navy in WWII. The cat was out of the bag, she was Rosie the Riveter.  The stories she told of the girls working with iron were fascinating.  History is better when you know the real deal. 
Brian

Electrical Joe

Quote from: Highflyer on September 07, 2022, 10:34:20 PM
HB is doing really well so far. 

It was nearly 90F this morning in the barn and HB was making over 60 amps.  The laser said it was only 9 degrees F warmer than the air around it.  NO fans running. 

Also I saw the array produced a maximum of 3231 watts on eight 395 watt panels. I was impressed.  All in all today was partly cloudy but I was still able to generate well over 20kWh.  HB stayed in MPPT because I drain the batteries enough the night before to allow for this test. 

Side note, HB was able to pull power longer after sunset than I expected.  I think the low light tracking is spot on.

So far only a few minor bugs. I think this one is a real winner so far... I'll report back again soon. 

I think there may be a few software changes to test.  Fingers crossed.

What were the bugs if you don't mind?

Highflyer

One is a text to speech issue.  HB had made 13.4kWh, the voice message said 1.3kWh.  It is simple stuff like that.  It is easily fixed. 

The others are also nits to pick.  But that's why we test.
Brian

Electrical Joe

Quote from: Highflyer on September 11, 2022, 10:17:02 AM
One is a text to speech issue.  HB had made 13.4kWh, the voice message said 1.3kWh.  It is simple stuff like that.  It is easily fixed. 

The others are also nits to pick.  But that's why we test.

Well that's great news! I can't wait to purchase the 120A model. If it's just minor software bugs then hopefully it will be available soon!

Highflyer

I have been very impressed with both the HB I have tested.  I have upgraded my array twice adding more potential just to be able to give HB a proper test.  NOw that I have the additional energy, I certainly can use it. 

Both HBs have done everything I have asked of them.  I have had them in an un-air conditioned barn all summer without issue or complaint.  I am going to temporarily add a few more panels and see how HB does.  I expect no issues, just more power.  But I will report back next weekend.
Brian

Highflyer

Well HB keeps running along and I am getting ready to add a Barcelona to the test center.  I have a set of mismatched panels to test on Barcelona.  One side will have higher input voltage than the other.  The second will have a higher wattage output.  This way I can watch the two sides working and see if there is anything I need to report back.

Secondly, there is new software coming to test. Improvements and new features to test should be running asap.  Knowing the potential of these charge controllers shows me the path forward.  It has taken longer to get this far, but now I see the real potential.  I'll let history determine if they are game changers or not, but if I had bet my money, I would bet on change.

As soon as I get the new software running, I'll post anything interesting I find.  It might be a week before that happens, so stay tuned. 
Brian

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

boB, the mythical blue smoke is still hidden inside.  I do have several new tests to run after I get back to the farm, some hardware and some software.  I have several new things to add to the testbed which I am very excited to add to the wall of power. 

Every time there is an upgrade, things just get better and better. I am having a blast.

I should have new pictures showing off the new hardware late next week at the latest. Midnite sent me a few other goodies as well.  I think I may need a bigger wall.....
Brian