MNPV3 Combiner Box Holding 4 Breakers??

Started by ywhic, April 29, 2012, 01:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ywhic

I was looking at the MNPV 3 Combiner box for my panel array (which is 2 currently)..

The DIN rail looks like it will fit 4 breakers... will fit (not fuses)??

(I plan on using 15 A breakers on the 6 Breaker buss bar [trimmed to 4])..

I just want to make sure 4 BREAKERS will fit on the DIN rail..

Anyone know??

Vic

Hi yw,

Please look at the table on the second page of this link.  It SAYS three breakers (150 V max).  You will probably want the six breaker version.  Think that part of the rating for the MNPV3 includes a maximum of three breakers for 150 V max systems:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/frontBack03.pdf

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Halfcrazy

I will have to physically go check. I assume the answer is Yes but I will try to check today and let you know. I did get your email and I understood the space constraints. The dead-front obviously will not work.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Robin

Here is the real scoop. Many people have asked about this in the past, so I may as well come clean. When I designed the original MNPV3 years ago, part of the design was the deadfront. The deadfront is actually large enough for 5 breakers, but the din rail was made for three. Things would get very cramped for space with the output wire too since we always hang it off one side or the other. I did want to accommodate a possible future change, so if you look on the back of the deadfront, you will see that there are outlines for two more breakers. After a couple years of shipping the deadfront with this feature, I started to feel guilty that the din rail would only hold 3 breakers. I finally changed it to hold five breakers a few years ago. The busbar will only accommodate three breakers, but as you have discovered, you can get the 6 position busbar and cut it down. You will need to get a saw to cut out the extra hole (s) for tha additional breaker, but it will be a pretty inexpensive way to upgrade your present PV3 to a PV4 or PV5.
Robin Gudgel

ywhic

Thanks that clarifies it..

The DIN looked big enough but I'd rather ask..

I only need 4 breakers for this setup..

Thanks sooo much..

Ryan if it looks good just confirm on Monday when you have time..

I'll be ordering a BUNCH of things in the next 3 weeks for this cabin out in TX I just had put up..