Setting Asorb times

Started by Vic, May 09, 2012, 08:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

Have looked in the Quick Start Guide,  the Manual,  searched this site,  and used Google to search this site,  BUT,  must be blind ...

Would like to make absolutely certain that I avoid accidentally setting an Asorb time that equals the Bulk time of the current charge cycle.  Guess that if I knew how to set that,  and there was only one way to cause this Asorb mode to happen,  then I could avoid doing so.  Know how to set EA,  know how to set Min and Max (I believe).   This is for a remote site,  and an not always there and so on,  so just want to set an Asorb time,  or use EA  and not have concerns about unintended long Asorb time (dictated by long Bulk time).

Sorry to be so needy.  Thanks  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Hi Vic.

Just set the MAX Absorb time to the longest time you want it to Absorb for.

If you set the MINinimum Absorb time for say, 30 minutes and the Maximum
Absorb time to 31 minutes, then it ~should~ Absorb for 30 minutes...
No More... No Less...  NoWonder.... NoVember...

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

OK boB,

That was my intrepetation of Max and Min.

But,  just for my education,  how is it that one sets the Asorb time equals the Bulk time for the current charge cycle?

[Editorial comment:  At this loction,  Bulk starts very very early in the Spring and Summer months.  Just arter SR am Buking at ten or so watts.  This goes along for about five hours.  Asorb,  ideally is less than one hour.  Perhaps on the shortest day of the year,  the Bulk and ideal Asorb times are considerably closer,  yet still can result in batt overcharge ...  So need to make sure that I do NOT select this mode,  on this poorly attended site.].

Thanks again,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

boB

Quote from: Vic on May 10, 2012, 11:27:37 AM
OK boB,

That was my intrepetation of Max and Min.

But,  just for my education,  how is it that one sets the Asorb time equals the Bulk time for the current charge cycle?

[Editorial comment:  At this loction,  Bulk starts very very early in the Spring and Summer months.  Just arter SR am Buking at ten or so watts.  This goes along for about five hours.  Asorb,  ideally is less than one hour.  Perhaps on the shortest day of the year,  the Bulk and ideal Asorb times are considerably closer,  yet still can result in batt overcharge ...  So need to make sure that I do NOT select this mode,  on this poorly attended site.].

Thanks again,  Vic

The idea is that the Absorb will take the same amount of time as the Bulk took to reach the Absorb voltage.
Ideally, for this to happen, you would set the minimum time to say, 1 minute and the maximum time to, say,
20 hours which would cover pretty much everything.

But the scenario you are mentioning is really what happens and so that is why we have a MAXimum Absorb time.

Of course, a Bulk/Absorb CAN start in the middle of the day and so that is why we put the MINimum Absorb time.

They are just options so that it can charge in realistic situations like you are doing.

Now, regarding the long time in the morning racking up bulk time...   There is a way around this, but maybe
some other day I can play with that.  That has to do with dynamically adjusting the timers based on power or
energy during that bulk time.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hey boB,

Thanks for the added info.

Like your thoughts about Asorb time depending on the Energy delivered to the batts.  Of course this may belong in the MN Bat Mon/Controller.  There was some rumor of a MN CC+Bat Mon ...

One of the many,  many things that I love about Midnite and your products is your willingness to make your great, revolutionalry` products even better,  and then,  better yet,  and so on.

Seems to me that ALL the other companies making off grid solar products are trying to meet about 70% of the market,  and then try to wait as long as possible to even fix BUGs and design flaws,  let alone extending the functionality of products.  Not to mention all of the el-cheapo  crapola from off-shore.

Sorry to gush,  but how could anyone needing a large CC choose anything other than the MN Classic?

73  Thanks again,  Vic