News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Remote display or bluetooth?

Started by flatline, May 03, 2022, 01:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatline

Hey guys and girls, I am a recent purchaser of the 24v DIY inverter. I am so far super happy with its performance. I am by no means a solar expert, but I do rig and wire boats part time so the install was super easy. I have 1200 watts of solar and so far it has worked very well with my travel trailer set up. Something I have been wondering is, is there some kind of remote display available for this unit?  Wife and I are planning on trying to live in our 24 foot Jayco for a while and room is super tight. The only mounting place I had for the unit was in the main living room and it is quite loud. I am also a carpenter, so building a small nice looking sound proof cabinet with outside ventilation around it would not be too hard, but I would like to be able to still easily access the information from the unit without having to open the cabinet. I see it has a USB plug and a canbus plug, but I honestly dont know anything about Modbus and what that entails. I was just wondering if their is a compatible bluetooth dongle or maybe a remote screen that I could use like the renogy or victron remote monitering screens?  Thanks for your time, and I will go ahead and warn you, I will probably have a lot more questions  :D

Thanks
Travis
Florida Marine Biologist hoping to travel the country with my beautiful wife and two monster dogs in our 24ft Jayco. Hunting, spearfishing, fishing, and hiking all around this beautiful country, making new friends and great memories.

boB

Bluetooth is being worked on !

Sorry I don't have anything newer to really add to that.

Questions ?  No problem !  Just ask away.

boB 🌜
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

flatline

Awesome, thanks for the response.  I was wondering... I noticed a few posts online about the Midnite solar DIY inverter/chargers also possibly being manufactured at the same company as the Renogy Inverter/chargers.  Im guessing each company may have proprietary software, but is it possible the remote screen or bluetooth dongle that works for the Renogy inverter/charger, would also work for the Midnite?
Florida Marine Biologist hoping to travel the country with my beautiful wife and two monster dogs in our 24ft Jayco. Hunting, spearfishing, fishing, and hiking all around this beautiful country, making new friends and great memories.

boB

Yes, I would think their Bluetooth might just work with our DIY stuff.

MRNE manufactures both but we do have SOME of the unit's characteristics made just for MidNite Solar.

I am not quite sure exactly what though as I am not quite as up to date on all of that.

Let us know what you find if you look into that !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

FNG

At this time we are not working on remote displays, or blue tooth for the DIY. What we are working on is a combox that puts the DIY line onto your networkW and allows you to view it. We also have wifi dongles coming to test out as well.

As for the Renogy devices being compatible I would have to look into that, Do you have any links to the products in question?

flatline

Thanks for the response. I was wondering about renogy's bt-2 dongle. It says it's rs485 communication compatible so I went a head and ordered one. I have a renogy Lithium battery I can use it with so at least I'm not out 40 bucks. I did receive it today and tried plugging it in. It didn't even power up. So I guess that's a negative on it working on the DIY inverter. At first I thought maybe it was dead on arrival, but after hooking it up the lithium battery, it worked fine.  Maybe the port on the inverter isn't on? Maybe there is some setting to activate it?

littleharbor2

I just installed a 3024 DIY for a friend so this thread piqued my curiosity. 
One question I have would be,
What is the RS485 port for?
What info is going to it?
It can't be just sitting there with no wires connected to it , can it?
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric
   Trace SW 4024 (brand new, sort of, first energized Feb. 2015)
  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4  Battery bank

ClassicCrazy

It  may be a different protocol than the renogy one.
The other possible reason is that the renogy one and the diy may use different pins on the jacks.
Hard to really know unless you can find published info on jack pinout and what comm protocol is used.
Ryan mentioned that they are working on something to communicate with it so it must have something that spits out data.
I just looked up and found Renogy modbus protocol
https://diysolarforum.com/attachments/charge-controller-rs485-modbus-protocol-v1-7-pdf.23343/
It is probably different than the diy , but you would need the DIY  info to compare.
Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable