News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

MN3024DIY setup challenges

Started by dapdan, July 05, 2022, 08:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

All,

I am seeking some advise/assistance on the setup of the MN3024. I recently completed the installation with a 3 X 2 array using 60cell panels and the inverter is reporting 67v in. I have the inverter connected to a 8cell lithium module but only plan on charging to 31.5V. I selected the custom set up in the menu and set the boost voltage to 31.5. When I close the panel breaker the unit does not charge the battery and it sitting at around 28.5V. I have been thru the manual twice and cant seem to get the unit to charge the battery. I also have a shunt with a monitoring meter so I could observe capacity and current flows. So this is why I can confirm that the unit draws about 900mA on idle or approx. 38w. If anyone can advise what I have missed I would appreciate it.

Damani

dapdan

Midnite,

i also noticed Ryan using a wifi dongle to have the inverter report to the cloud. Is that available as I am ready for it.

Damani

dapdan

turned the inverter on and miraculously it is working and charging from PV. I didnt change any setting from the previous day.

boB

Hi Dan !

Hopefully, FNG will be here soon and respond some.

I know there is a setting to choose between grid, PV or both for charging.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dapdan

boB,
all is well. unit is working like a champ. the Voltage range is fantastic. I have it hooked up to some 2nd life EV modules that are 8s with full voltage being 33.6 but I have it setup for 31.6 for greater cycles. If only the 48V variant can go to at least 63V instead of the dismal 60V which is even to low for a lead acid bank.

Damani

dapdan

All,

Everything is working fine with the setup. Inverter is charging the batteries wonderfully. THere is one issue I have discovered with this 3024 unit, altho it could operate up to33V it does not charge beyound 31.6V. This could be an issue for using second life EV lithium batteries at 8 cells. THis is exactly what I am using. The 8 cell nmc lithium battery is fully charged at 32.6V, the inverter only goes to 31.6V. THis is not a deal breaker for me because I have chosen to under charge the battery to extend life. I am wondering tho, is there a way to increase the upper limit of the charge controller to say 32V.

boB

Hi Dan

I don't know enough about that inverter.   I have a feeling that there isn't a way.   But I just don't know.
It is probably related to capacitor voltage ratings which normally stop at 63V DC.   I *think* that the newer versions of the 48V DIY inverter may actually go to 63V.

I thought that these Nissan Leaf batteries (if that is what you are using)  really need to go to an even higher voltage ?

FYI, MidNite is getting 68V capacitors for our new controllers just for this reason.

I am going to ping Ryan about this post.   

The DIY Combox is possibly what you are referring to ?  It lets the MNDIY inverters talk to the net.

It is very close.  Closer than the Classic Bluetooth dongle and phone app.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dapdan

boB,

I am glad to hear about the 68V cap for the controllers and there are alot of people out there using second life Li ion that need 4.2V per cell for full charge.

The cells I am using come in a 4p8s module and they are LG and not from the Leaf.

If the newer MNDIY5048 can go up to 63V I would definitely be interested in it. I would like to know the maximum charging voltage for the on board charge tho. As I mentioned before the 3024 is rated up to 33V but the on board charger is only programmable up to 31.6V. If this is case for the 5048 then this will render the on board charger useless for anyone looking to use lithium batteries other than LifePo.

FNG,

Thanks for the link for the Wifi dongle for the DIY inverter series. I will definitely be looking at getting a couple.

Highflyer

Ryan,

I see the WIFI dongle for the DIY at that link, but where does one get the app and how does one save data to the cloud?
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

dapdan

I called midnite and a customer rep in the technical section said that the dongle is only for the DIY series of charge controllers and not the inverter line. So I dont really know what to believe honestly.

Damani

Highflyer

I believe it is all in the one box, at least mine is.  I am getting a dongle and will report back. 
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

FNG

Quote from: Highflyer on August 30, 2022, 02:00:22 PM
Ryan,

I see the WIFI dongle for the DIY at that link, but where does one get the app and how does one save data to the cloud?

The app is on the google and apple stores with a QR code in the instruction sheet, I need to get a digital copy of the manual and upload it. As for retrieving data from the cloud, I can't say 100% as I haven't played with mine enough. I will be moving the Hawkes bay array over to it soon

FNG

Quote from: dapdan on August 30, 2022, 02:11:14 PM
I called midnite and a customer rep in the technical section said that the dongle is only for the DIY series of charge controllers and not the inverter line. So I dont really know what to believe honestly.

Damani
Do you know who you talked to?

We essentially have two items that work with the DIY line:

1- A blue tooth dongle, it only works with the DIY 60 MPPT
2- A wifi dongle, it only works with the DIY all in one inverters

dapdan

Oh ok. I can only remember her telling me she is originally from Alaska as we were talking about the weather because I am from Barbados and that she dont like it hot. She also mentioned that there was a shipment of the new line of MN5548 that were currently held up in some port in China for the pass few months. I had asked about the new inverters that were to be operating up to 63V and she added that these inverters had bluetooth functionality built in.

I am looking forward to reports of your experience with the inverter, dongle and your array. I am quite interested in learning from your experiences as I like the DIY line, my only pause is the operating voltage anything below 32V or 63V is a deal breaker as it rules out 2nd life EV batteries.

Damani