s/v Ninaa Ootakii - Multiple Midnite Chinook Wind Turbine Integration

Started by Stone, August 11, 2022, 12:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

I found it.  The board is our 8-120-1  Revision A which it looks like you have.

As for LED  D2, that is NOT screen printed on the  PCB !   I do not know why !

I would have to find the software for this.   I will look for it.

But here is the schematic for you anyway.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Stone

Thanks boB.
It's on the schematic, column 8, row D.
It's also screen printed on my board.

Both my units are the same board rev.

It looks like there was a cap added after the picture in the manual of this controller was taken, it's just below it to the left.

Pics attached.

Stone - (s/v Ninaa Ootakii)

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s
8x L-16s (24v house bank)
8x GC2s (12v convenience bank)

boB

Yes, I looked at the code (assembly language)...

Looks like the green LED means that there are pulses coming into the load from the turbine and the RED LED shows that it is clipping or limiting.

Green---  Some wind
RED  ---  LOTS of wind

So, is your green LED  ALWAYS on ?  Or only on when the turbine is spinning ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Stone

This sounds like it's going to be fun :/

Brakes work on both turbines.
Wind is currently 7 to 10 mph across the deck.

Turbine 1 (starboard side)
No lights, ever.

Turbine 2 (port side)
Green light is always on.
(Even when the turbine isn't connected to it, like when the brake switch is on)

5 minutes ago, I shut off the panels, removed all the loads, and the wiz bang Jr is showing .2 to 1.4a with the turbines engaged.

I'm not sure either is working properly, but at least one of them appears to be charging.

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s

The Ugly One

I know I hate it when people say this to me but... with turbine 1. Have you tested voltage with a multimeter to make sure you have all the wires connected to the diversion load. Seeing that it has no lights ever.

If you feel like I might of sold you a faulty diversion piece. I do have a couple of them new in box still. I can send you one if you would like to see if that is a possibility. And I know when k am trying to figure out my own electrical problems. I always disconnect everything and test things one at a time.

So first I would recommend using a voltage meter on the wires connected to the diversion load where they are connected to the electrical board. That will be the first thing so I will know if i need tok send you a new one for both or just one.
I take them Ray Rays, and turn them into that Boom Boom Zap Juice.

Stone

Okay.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do here.

On both turbines, this reads 27.2, which is expected, because they're connected to the battery bank...

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s

The Ugly One

My question for you boB... With the load diversion for the Chinook. Is there any difference with the electrical board between the 12v, 24v, 48v? I know I have to move the jumper over to the proper voltage.... But can I use one that was with the 48v Chinook turbine, as one for a 24v system?

boB

Quote from: The Ugly One on October 01, 2022, 10:03:46 PM
My question for you boB... With the load diversion for the Chinook. Is there any difference with the electrical board between the 12v, 24v, 48v? I know I have to move the jumper over to the proper voltage.... But can I use one that was with the 48v Chinook turbine, as one for a 24v system?

You can divert at 12, 24, 48V battery voltages and yes, you can connect up a 24V or 48V Chinook turbine to that battery and it will divert BUT the turbine, if is a 24V or 48V and connected to a 12V battery will most likely stall and not do much if anything at all.

An MPPT controller like the Classic will allow you to run a 24V or 48V turbine into a 12V battery.  Or a 48V turbine into a 24V battery.

But a 48V turbine can connect directly to a 48V battery or 24V turbine directly to a 24V battery and use the simple battery diversion for those.

I may have missed something...

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

FNG

Quote from: The Ugly One on October 01, 2022, 10:03:46 PM
They have different resistors in them to set the current draw so if you use a 12v on a 48v system it is going to draw 4x the current and do bad things

The Ugly One

Thank you boB and FNG.

I was using a desk top power supply to test a diverter to give stone a reference to what his diverter #1 should be showing at his battery voltage.

FNG- thank you for answering the question in more detail. I have mainly 12v remaining and might possibly have ended up sending a 12v if I didn't find a 24v....  So that leads me to my next question... What resistor is swapped out for each battery voltage and to what resistor as well...

You can send me a message if this is not the best thing to pop ut on the forum. I do understand.

boB

Yeah, forgot that part about the resistance difference.

I thought you might be trying to use say, a 48V Chinook on a 12V battery (without MPPT) which most likely would not work due to stalling the turbine.

The resistors are on the order of just a few Ohms.  Can't remember the details.  Ryan probably knows that right off the top.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

FNG

Quote from: The Ugly One on October 03, 2022, 12:27:10 PM
Thank you boB and FNG.

I was using a desk top power supply to test a diverter to give stone a reference to what his diverter #1 should be showing at his battery voltage.

FNG- thank you for answering the question in more detail. I have mainly 12v remaining and might possibly have ended up sending a 12v if I didn't find a 24v....  So that leads me to my next question... What resistor is swapped out for each battery voltage and to what resistor as well...

You can send me a message if this is not the best thing to pop ut on the forum. I do understand.
It is the large green resistor and I dont know the values off my head. They may be on that schematic boB posted or I may be able to pull build info from our server

Stone

Summer is here!
How do I know?

My house bank is at 100%, and all 4 of my Midnite Solar Chinook 200 wind turbine dump loads are showing red lights and are hot to the touch.
(No wind currently)

I suspect that they are dumping current from my panels and classic 150. (Wiz bang Jr is showing 100% state of charge, and is claiming I'm charging at 18 amps)

Does anyone have a good tech article on how to do this better?

Would eventually like to use the extra power to heat hot water for hydronic heating, if that helps?

Thanks!

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s

boB

Edit...  Sorry Stone !  Now I remember who you are and where your install is :)

Stone, would love to see a picture of that setup if you can.

These dump loads are on the battery side I am assuming ?

You might adjust the diversion so that it dumps at a bit higher voltage so that the dump happens above and beyond the solar input to the batteries. Also, adjust the solar charging so that they charge at a slightly lower voltage than the wind turbines are charging before that dump load turns on.  That should allow the dumping to happen only after the battery voltage rises above the solar charging voltage which would then be the wind turbine charging.

Are you using Clipper mode in the wind Classics ?  Or are you using the Chinooks with a Classic or just running into the batteries and using the Classic to dump battery voltage ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Stone

Panels --> classic 150 --> battery bank

Turbines --> dump load controllers --> common buss --> battery bank

The charge voltage settings on the classic are set to:

EQ: 32.3 volts
Absorb 29.6 volts
Float 27.0 volts

The turbine dump load controllers are set up per FNG's instruction

"That all said if you set the chinook diversion controller to Con2- SLD and Con3-OVP it will regulate at 30.2vdc so that is above your 29.6 you would need to disable the controller when you EQ of course"

Looks like sometime during the night the port side forward Chinook controller went offline or died (green light is off) so I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need a better solution.

What's the best way to do this?

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s