DC Solar Trailer set up with 10 extra panels.

Started by Cking11, August 12, 2022, 12:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpNorthMan

With fluctuations of voltage and Amps.I would consider checking all your connections.  It sounds like something might be loose or corroded. Just a thought. Not sure if it would be pv or battery side.
Ed
1000W panels Kid CC 230ah battery bank @48v
Weekend cabin, 250w inverter.
Waiting for the new inverter to be released so I can finish my install!

Vic

Quote from: Cking11 on August 14, 2022, 09:44:09 PM
I'm reading my SOC off of my inverter not the classic sorry I didn't make that clear I don't think it has the wiz bang jr. I only see absorb on my classic when my generator is running and charging my batteries and that's controlled through my inverter as well.

My absorb time setting on the classic is 2hrs and EQ is 1 hour not sure if that's anywhere near what it should be that's where it was set when I bought the trailer.  And to answer an earlier question I do not have a way to check the electrolyte in my batteries.

All the setting on this trailer for the most part were set when I bought it I wonder if I would benefit any from going through the start up wizard that first shows up when you install a new classic. Any thoughts on that?

I've been looking through different configurations or my modules to get the 3 separate sections I'm running to be as similar to each other as possible. The best case of three sets of 6 would put me running  180V , right close to 50A, 4500 watts coming in if all conditions were perfect? Is that a realistic amount of power coming in to charge my two batteries? If not what would you recommend?

An Absorb time of 2  -  3 hours would be customary for these batteries,  but,  the Depth OF Discharge (DOD) of the battery in the previous discharge has a large impact on the needed Absorb time. And, higher the Absorb voltages, would reduce the needed Absorb time.

Strings of six of either brand of solar panels (PVs) should be fine,  and you have found a near-perfect match, with those Canadian Solar ones.

You will want to find a fairly good Hydrometer, or Refractometer, to check the battery SGs, of each cell. after you feel that the battery is about as fully-charged as you can get it.  If using a Hydrometer,  and the battery is fairly warm/HOT,  there is a small temperature compensation,  needed to correct those readings.

An Auto Parts store  Hydro, with a bulb,  glass outer tube, and glass float, with numbers on the float, should be fine as a starting point.

Make a battery Logbook, to record settings,  SGs,  Distilled Water useage, and so on.

You sill want to letter batteries, and number the cells of each battery, and makr them (somehow), to keep track of trends, and results of changes in settings, etc.

Always rinse your Hydro several times with Distilled Water after SG measuring sessions  --  this will preserve its accuracy.

More later, Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Cking11

Thank you again for the help I will check all my connections.

I will also change up my set up to sets of 6 or if I can get my hands on another Canadian solar panel I'll do 3 sets of 7.if I can get 4 more panels maybe I can run four sets of 6

I'll pick up a hydrometer. So should I set my absorb to 4 or 5 hours then since my power from my pànels

Vic

Quote from: Cking11 on August 16, 2022, 12:21:47 AM
Thank you again for the help I will check all my connections.

I will also change up my set up to sets of 6 or if I can get my hands on another Canadian solar panel I'll do 3 sets of 7.if I can get 4 more panels maybe I can run four sets of 6

I'll pick up a hydrometer. So should I set my absorb to 4 or 5 hours then since my power from my panels ...

An Absorb time, of 4, or even 5 hours,  should be fine, now.  Later, when you have the added PVs online, you should not need that much time for Asorb.

Good Luck, in finding more PVs,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Cking11