News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

PV charging always on?

Started by littleharbor2, October 23, 2022, 11:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleharbor2

I have a friend who just installed a MN 5048 DIY . He wants to shut down inverter function while still maintaining PV charging to keep his batteries charged. It appears that the PV charging is being turned off when he turns of the inverter with the bottom mounted rocker switch. I have installed a couple 3024 models and the PV seems to continue charging while inverter is shut down. Is there something in the settings my friend might have done to disable PV charging? This is a full off grid set up. He has ran a generator through the AC in circuit .
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric
   Trace SW 4024 (brand new, sort of, first energized Feb. 2015)
  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4  Battery bank

littleharbor2

Hmmmm.... No reply so far. Kind of surprised.  Anyway...
I'm trying to find how to factory reset this inverter in the hopes that It will start the PV charging again while inverter is shut down. Everywhere I look and try googling I'm getting no answer. Is this unit Factory resettable?
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric

LilMT

No direct help but, I would suggest opening a ticket with Midnite technical support.  They have been absolute rock stars whenever I have reached out to them.

support@midnitesolar.com

Hope you are able to work through it.
Thanks,
LilMT

Classic 250, 3s2p Trina Solar 405watt, 8 Renogy 200ah for 48V 400ah, Magnasine 4448 inverter.

boB

Yes, I would email  support[at]midnitesolar[.com}   and ask.

I *THINK* that there might be a setting to enable that ?   

Sorry, not sure 100%

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

littleharbor2

My friend has a dialog going over the phone with a tech(?) and was told to leave inverter on but turn off the AC out breaker. Turns out that doesn't do anything because the AC out is actually an AC in breaker. Next, he was told that all these inverters stop PV charging when you turn off the rocker on the bottom of the unit. Again, not true because the other two units I have installed DO keep PV charging alive when you shut down the inverter with the rocker switch.

I don't know what to do. I still can't figure out if there's a Factory Reset function. I was hoping a factory reset would achieve the PV on result I'm looking for.
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric

boB

Well, we need to find out.

Asking.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

littleharbor2

12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric

FNG

The 5048 has a rocker switch on the bottom, it is 100% off or on, It will shut off all the unit not just AC.
The 3024 and 3548 the rocker switch is AC only allowing PV to still run

The difference is the 5048 is a high voltage controller and is injected into the high voltage DC rail for higher efficiency thus not allowing for separation of operation

As for factory restore all DIY inverters work the same (I am surprised phone support didn't know how to do this?):
Press and hold the "UP" and "DOWN" button until a small box appears top middle of the screen.
Once the box appears then remove PV power, AC In power and then Battery power and wait for the screen to go dark.
15 seconds after (or longer) the screen goes dark apply battery power.
Reset all your settings
Apply PV and AC IN

And you are correct the breaker on the side of the 5048 is AC in not AC Out

littleharbor2

Thank you for the thorough answers. As to the reset I think my friend didn't get around to asking that question.  I emailed the tech personally and after he verified the 5048 operates differently than the others he emailed me back with that info and he gave me the instructions for the reset. All answers given clearly and to the point.  I appreciate everybody's help here and will say I have learned a lot and have no more questions.

It is somewhat of a bummer that you need to keep the inverter heated up to maintain battery charging on this model. My friend lives in the states and only spends  short stretches at his place here in Baja but needs to keep his inverter on 24/7/365.

Many thanks, Mike (aka littleharbor2)
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric