Kid going into float prematurely with incorrect voltage

Started by dapdan, December 14, 2022, 08:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

Midnite/All,

I have a kid that is going into float mode prematurely and also showing the incorrect voltage when the pv breaker is closed. When the pv breaker is open it returns to the correct voltage. the end result is that the controller refuses to charge when the battery has been discharged. I am charging lithium and have the absorp voltage set at 32.6V. It was previously working ok and I would have had it repaired by Midnite recently ( in late september, 2022).

Damani

ClassicCrazy

Ryan mentioned in a previous post that there is a bug with the Kid when charging lithium batteries .
He said that they are working on a firmware update fix for that.
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=5877.msg54252#msg54252
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

dapdan

Thing is that it seems to be working fine for the past few weeks until I noticed that it was at float prematurely a couple of days ago.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: dapdan on December 14, 2022, 11:25:40 AM
Thing is that it seems to be working fine for the past few weeks until I noticed that it was at float prematurely a couple of days ago.

Did you use the adjustment section in the Kid to calibrate the cables that go from battery to controller?
You need to do that when the voltage and current is highest while at your Absorb setpoint.
If you do that, depending on the wiring you use - it may not show the correct voltage at other voltages so you would just have to change the Float voltage setting in the Kid until it  is where you want it at the batteries viewpoint.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

dapdan

Cables going to battery are short, less than 2ft, and are 10awg. I really dont expect the amount of voltage drop, or increase, that I am witnessing. Bassically all other voltage readings were around 29.8V and when the PV breaker to the kid is closed it jumps up to 32.6V and is displaying a float status.

Damani

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: dapdan on December 15, 2022, 12:18:24 PM
Cables going to battery are short, less than 2ft, and are 10awg. I really dont expect the amount of voltage drop, or increase, that I am witnessing. Bassically all other voltage readings were around 29.8V and when the PV breaker to the kid is closed it jumps up to 32.6V and is displaying a float status.

Damani

I am assuming you have a 24v system.
How many amps are you charging at ?
If you have 30amp breaker or fuse on your 10 gauge wire to battery you are okay.
What kind of batteries are you using ? LifePO4 ? If so you have your absorb voltage set  too high. Do you have battery manufacturer specs ?
It would help to see drawing of how your system is wired . Maybe you have said in past but I don't remember.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

dapdan

CC,

Yes it is a 24v system. I am using second life EV lithium which requires 4.2Vpc for full and it is in an 8s arrangement. I am currently charging to 4.08vpc to have longer life and besides the inverter doesnt like anything about 32.6v even tho is says it is good to 33V. In fact I cant get the on board MPPT charger to charge beyond 31.6V so the voltage is pushed higher by a Classic and a kid(that is malfunctioning)

Damani

dapdan

Midnite,

any word on this new firmware to solve this issue.

Damani