News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Hydro

Started by sanicki, December 16, 2022, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanicki

Just Received may MNHAWKE’S BAY 120 and noted the manual only lists solar. How is the progress on the software to allow hydro application which is my intent. When can I expect and update?

boB

Sounds like the mode that would work for hydro is already in the HBay however it may not be a choice in the MNGP2 yet.

It would not be called "hydro" though as we are only working with solar at the moment.  But from what I hear from the engineers on the HBay, it should work OK for hydro.

Remember though that in any mode, the minimum input operating voltage is around 180 VDC.

Also, you will still most likely need an input voltage clipper/clamp to limit the highest voltage input to the charge controller.

What hydro turbine do you have that you want to use for this ?  Have you been using another CC for hydro in the past and did you have some kind of a voltage clamp/clipper for it ?

We will get to that sooner if it is a quick thing to do but I might not expect the choice of this mode quickly because of limited resources here at MidNite.   I will try and stir the pot a little for you (and other hydro people) as I would also like to see that mode added.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

sanicki

I agree the Solar algorithm should work however the algorithms will be quite fast for something with high inertial loading which is why on the other models they algorithms which are much slower with. Yes, I understand there is a min voltage that is not and issue I intend to monitor the voltage out and regear my undershot water wheel system if voltage goes to low or to high. For over voltage protection I plan on on monitoring my 3 phase High voltage AC before full wave rectifying to high voltage DC and have the system open a connection relay as an overvoltage protection prior to the 600 VDC max, on the low end side I plan on just monitoring the DC voltage with annotation to as it will not damage the charge controller it will just fall off the MPPT voltage range. Seems the AUX outs wil be a good way to do this. Luckily I am testing the electronics current all on a bench at the moment I am driving my 3ph AC generator head using an electric motor to simulate the water wheel, so I would expect the MNGP2 once it comes alive to match the available current out put to what at which my drive motor will input into the generator head. So far however I have not been able to get the MNGP2 to come out of IDLE mode though even when I have chosen forced Float, bulk charge or other modes. I can tell as the instant the DC input is charged it loads the generator head but that stops quickly, I have a feeling that is just the capacitors charging with in the Hawkes Bay as on shut down it will hold voltage for Several minutes aprox 15-20min as it bleeds of the charge given it is not sending any current out to the battery as it never wakes up out of idle state.

Thanks

Scott

sanicki

After some help with the tech support line after completing a factory rest the unit now putts a load on the generator head. However I have found that in MPPT set up when you configure the MPPT Menu -> Mode Menu after you shut down and restart the power to the charge controller it does not seem to hold the setting for Max in and Max out. Also after readjusting them I have not found the MPPT always reacting, there must be a sequence to implement. For instance if I set the Max out to 120A as to not make it a limit, and set the Max in to 2A I have seen the MPPT dither its set point to 2A in, however if I adjust this to 1A in I do not see the MPPT adjust to lower the input to a 1A in 

boB

I would not expect the present solar tracking mode to work well for hydro.

You may also require a fail-safe input voltage protection  scheme for those times when the Aux output is not responsive temporarily due to updating firmware or the MPPT is resetting its processor for some reason or another.

Your input current limit and min/max data going away issue has been noted and forwarded on.

It will be a while before hydro and/or wind tracking will be worked on as we are still looking at issues such as ones you just mentioned.

Thank you very much for the information you have given us !

Does your head or flow change much during the day ?  What would your maximum hydro voltage expect to be when it is free running ?

The main limiting factor around 600 volts input are the capacitor voltage ratings.  I think...

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

sanicki

My plan is Aux output only for Voltage low information, I am going to use a 3 phase AC voltage monitor prior to my full wave DC rectifier to monitor the AC voltage and disconnect the solid state relay in front of it to ensure I do not go pass the 600Vdc limit.  So this should be a good fail safe. This will only happen if my flow jumps up and at that point I intend to change the gear ratio to my generator head to reduce its output voltage. Given the river is pretty constant except with influx of precipitation I do not expect this to happen frequently, the same is true on the low side as this would be during dry months in which I would expect to have low flow rates but plenty of torque so if I note that the voltage is dropping on the low side or falls out side the PPT the plan is to again switch gear ratios as the fast I spin the generator head the more output capacity it has. The balance will be the horsepower generated to which the MPPT should balance out with the draw load.  The current output will be limited to which the generator can produce 2500 is watts at these RPM. If I find I am making out the generate head all the time then I intend to step that up larger. Given I am the designer of the system I have capability's to experiment.

boB

Quote from: sanicki on December 20, 2022, 11:18:56 AM
For instance if I set the Max out to 120A as to not make it a limit, and set the Max in to 2A I have seen the MPPT dither its set point to 2A in, however if I adjust this to 1A in I do not see the MPPT adjust to lower the input to a 1A in

I am hearing that there is no input current limit yet.  Can you point me/us to where you are adjusting the in to 2 amps or 1 amp ?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

sanicki

Quote from: boB on December 20, 2022, 02:38:00 PM
Quote from: sanicki on December 20, 2022, 11:18:56 AM
For instance if I set the Max out to 120A as to not make it a limit, and set the Max in to 2A I have seen the MPPT dither its set point to 2A in, however if I adjust this to 1A in I do not see the MPPT adjust to lower the input to a 1A in

I am hearing that there is no input current limit yet.  Can you point me/us to where you are adjusting the in to 2 amps or 1 amp ?

MPPT set up when you configure the MPPT Menu -> Mode Menu