How do I install a second MNGP?

Started by david94133, June 11, 2012, 04:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david94133

I have a second MNGP I'd like to use.

When I connect it (as directed in the user's manual for the Classic 150, page 38), all that happens is that the red light blinks rapidly, after first staying on for a few seconds. Nothing happens with the display, it stays off.

If I connect the existing MNGP to the new cable, in the slave slot, it works fine. If I connect the new MNGP to the classic while the original one is disconnected, it works (but goes to the setup screen instead of already reading the config).

I suspect it has something to do with the modbus address. I am familiar with Modbus and PLCs, but don't want to do anything without directions. If it is a configuration item, there is the problem (a) of what address to use, and (b) how to configure it when the display is not on.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Tech support seems to be on vacation, and while he gave his cell phone number in the voice message I thought I'd try here second.

Thanks,

boB

Quote from: david94133 on June 11, 2012, 04:58:20 PM

When I connect it (as directed in the user's manual for the Classic 150, page 38), all that happens is that the red light blinks rapidly, after first staying on for a few seconds. Nothing happens with the display, it stays off.

If I connect the existing MNGP to the new cable, in the slave slot, it works fine. If I connect the new MNGP to the classic while the original one is disconnected, it works (but goes to the setup screen instead of already reading the config).

Thanks,

It sounds like your new MNGP has an internal flag set that wants you to set up the Classic for SOLAR-WIND-HYDRO and the battery voltage.   Right now, you will have to go through that set of 2 questions.  (the newer ones will have 4 questions).
This tells me that I will need a combination of button presses to bypass this.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention !

So, after you get the MNGP plugged into the SLAVE phone jack of the Classic, (the middle jack of the 3 phone jacks), and after you have gone through that setup (sorry about that)...   That should get it to show status like the first MNGP does.

Now, if you want to add a second Classic to that first Classic, you will need to change its modbus address.  The Classics normally ship with a default address of  10 (decimal) but can be set to address 11 by installing the 2 pin shorting jumper to the left-most jumper of the 4 behind the main power terminal block.

On the MNGP, to change what modbus address it is looking at, HOLD DOWN the left arrow key and TAP the UP arrow key.
Right now the MNGP will say "Classic2" and that means address 11.  If it says "unused address" and a modbus address below it,
get it to come down what would be 10 or 11 and you should be set.   Changing the address using those buttons is a bit touchy at the moment and we'll be making this much better soon.

Give this a try and check back if you get it working or not.

Thanks,
boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

david94133

Hi boB:

That is helpful, but it is still not quite there.

After lots of testing, I've determined that both panels work when my aux panel is connected to the MNGP port and the built-in unit is connected to the slave port, but not the other way around. By "work" I mean the usual status screen comes up. I'm not sure about all functionality.

So I looked at the firmware versions, and I see that they are different:

built-in MNGP: 920
aux MNGP: 901
Classic : 879

Do you think that is it?

If I update the firmware, will it update both MNGPs that are installed? The firmware available for download (which only gives dates, so I'm not sure how old they are) seems to update both the Classic and MNGP, which seems unusual. Would I have to run it twice, with each MNGP in turn? Or can I update the MNGP itself?

Also, my message might not have been clear, but I only have one Classic. I have one in the utility room, where I also want an MNGP, and then another MNGP controlling the same classic, at the desk in my office.

Thanks for all the help,

-dp-

david94133

Hello:

I'm still hoping for some help with this. My email to tech support was never answered.

Thanks for the help,

David

Halfcrazy

Sorry for the Delay I was out in Wisconsin for the Small Wind conference and MREA fair. Not really vacation though.

The primary MNGP goes in the top jack and the Secondary MNGP goes in the middle jack. Both MNGP's will write and read from the Classic. The second MNGP needs a simple 4 wire phone style cable. A long phone cable seems to have to much voltage drop to work though. I prefer Cat5 cable.

I would want to have both MNGP's have the same firmware revision and for reference only the top jack or Primary MNGP will update. You will need to plug the secondary MNGP into the top jack temporarily to upgrade its firmware.

When uploading firmware you have to do the Classic (IE 150,200 or 250 etc) and then you have to do the MNGP separate. I would recommend grabbing the latest off the website 4-29-12 (rev# 990-MNGP and 989-Classic) and doing everything. I suspect any quirks with operations is do to mismatched firmware.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time