Using both genenerator and "grid-tie" back backup

Started by Milton, January 05, 2023, 02:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milton

I am using dual Trace 5548 in series, giving me a 240v electrical panel and LiFePO4 48v batteries.

Is it possible to use one of the inverter’s settings to auto-start a 120-volt Honda eu3000 generator (which is working perfectly) AND use the other inverter’s setting as a grid-tie backup battery charger per the Energy Management Mode (p. 90)? (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s129/sh/945b67f6-4ed3-4b74-8922-2deedcbccd92/0d0bb36adc245f92e154f2f20d95f7fb)

If this combination is possible, what are the implications on page 97, under Automatic Generator Control with Multiple Inverters? It says,

“Several considerations must be taken into account when using the automatic generator controlling system with multiple inverters. The invert that controls the generator â€" referred to as the “generator controlling” inverter â€" along with the other invert which does not control the generator â€" referred to as the “non-generator controlling” inverter â€" must be programmed differently to achieve the best results. The two inverts should be programmed with the same Bulk Volts DC and Float Volts DC settings but with the Absorption Time on the “non-generator controlling” invert to be a longer setting. This will ensure that the charge current is shared between the two inverters more equally during the absorption stage by preventing one of the inverters from switching to float before the other. When the inverter that controls the generator reaches float, it will shut down the generator.”

Does “best results” mean that the Bulk Volts DC and Float Volts DC (which I have set at 40v to essentially deactivate it with my LiPO4 batteries) don’t have to be programmed the same â€" it will still work with sub-par results? I thought the charging current, reference above, only goes through the inverter that has the generator physically hooked up to it. So how does it “ensure that the charge current is shared between the two inverters . . .”?

To complicate this scenario, my brother-in-law is staying with us for the winter while he builds a new home. He has temporarily set up 6 panels (about 2kw) to keep his lead-acid batteries topped off and occasionally supply his camper.

Our goal was to set up the Energy Management Mode (p. 90) as a “grid-tie” that sends 120 vac from his 120 vac inverter system to my inverter’s AC1 input. This would use his extra energy as a backup instead of using my generator. But I think I would need to set the Bulk Volts DC setting differently for both inverters, so his “grid-tie” is prioritized over my generator.

Vic

Hi Milton,

Short on time right now  ...

But,  will say one thing,  the Honda EU3000 is,  or isa models do not have an Auto Choke,  so,  these will probably not start at all well,  with the choke NOT being used.

So,  the inverters are Trace SW 5548s ?

Are they Series Stacked, for 240 VAC,  using a Series Stacking cable?

Later, Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Milton

Thanks, Vic,

For auto start/chocking abilities, I've installed a GenStart.ca

https://genstart.ca/store/p72/HONDA_EU3000is-P_GenStart_Wireless_&_2-Wire_Start_System.html kit.

Yes, the Trace 5548 are series stacking cable. Each inverter is connected to one side of my electrical panel for a 240vac panel.

Update - we have since learned my brother-in-law's inverter is not a pure sine wave inverter (Xantrex FP 2500-12). Even though the Trace "AC1 In Good" green led blinks when the inverter is connected as the "grid tie," could it be the Trace does not switch into bulk charge because his inverter is not a pure sine wave inverter?