Solar wind hybred

Started by rumleyfips, June 13, 2012, 01:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rumleyfips

My new Classic 250KS works great with 5 - 245 watt panels and my 96 volt battery bank and inverter. I want to hook up my wind turbine and have a question about wiring.

If you use 2 Classics with a turbine, 2 rectifiers are needed. The controller for wind already has a rectifier. Should I install diode between the battery bank and the Classic?

John

boB

If you don't have access to the  AC side of the turbine's output  then yes, just add another diode on the second
Classic.   When paralleling 2 or more Classics with an AC output turbine, it doesn't lose any power at all
to add the extra diodes (3 phase bridge usually) because there is a bridge rectifier in the system anyway.

Ryan will most likely want to chime in about setting the power curves so that they share better.

Until the communications is done for networking the two Classics together, you have to kind of
adjust the second unit's curve so they work a little bit better together.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

rumleyfips

I don't think my question was clear enough.

I have a ~160v PV array connected to a 96 v battery bank and inverter by a Classic 250KS.

I want to connect my 2K wind turbine to the same battery bank using the factory rectifier and 110 v relay diverter. The rectifier provides diodes for the turbine.

What I wonder is should I add diodes between the Classic and the battery bank for more protection.

boB

Ah, OK.  Sorry...

What you want to do is done without a diode between the Classic and battery.

This would not work anyway because the Classic needs the battery to run (a small current
going to the Classic from the battery), and the diode connected in that direction would
keep the Classic from charging the battery in the other direction (current going to the battery
from the Classic and PV)

Just connect the turbine DC to the battery and the Classic to the battery and your diversion
load to the battery.

What are you using for battery load diversion control ? ?

Also what kind of turbine do you use ?    I'm not sure why you are using 2 Classics ?

Are you using a 96V inverter too ? ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

rumleyfips

Thanks boB . I saw the battery turn the Classic on when I set it up but forgot this in a different context. Pretty dumb!

I';m not using 2 Classics. I saw a wiring diagram with 2 Classic t5hat led to my question.

jMy turbine is a Chinese 2k , 12 ft. made by Qing Dao. I bought it factory direct for $1600 including tower, charge controller and inverter. It's a 96 volt 3 phase system; not my ideal but a good price and they would send a single piece to Halifax, Nova Scotia. I decided to use the inverter I had rather than change voltages and the Classic 250KS fit right in.

The only problem I have with the inverter is that is too wimpy to start my furnace fan with other loads connected. I can run the fan if I back off the belt tension, start the fan , tighten the belt and leave the fan on manual to run until the batteries run down. I might be able to get a 3k 96v inverter custom made by the manufacturer but I haven't decided yet.

Anyway; thanks for the help. I am pleased with my Kangaroo Special.

John

rumleyfips

You asked about diversion. I didn't answer.

The factory controller is just a 3 phase rectifier with a 120 volt relay feeding a 3 phase 2k dump load.

High winds overcame the furling last winter and burned out the 10 amp relay, the relay base  some of the led display , the wires to the dump and a couple of dump load wires. I was able to plug some load in to prevent further meltdown.

I have replaced the factory relay with a 30 amp 110-120 v piece. I scrounged 3 clothes drier elements at the dump and made a new Y configuration dump load. It should dump about 3300 watts.

I know the controller is a bit paleo, but I really don't get that much from the turbine ( not ideal location) and Nova Scotia Power sells me electricity at 13.5 c/KWH.

John

mike90045

Quote from: boB on June 13, 2012, 11:51:39 PM
.....  Just connect the turbine DC to the battery and the Classic to the battery and your diversion
load to the battery...... 

Huh ?  What about connecting the Diversion controller to the battery, and the diversion load to the diversion controller .  Just hooking the diversion load to the battery = dead battery at some time.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

rumleyfips

The turbine controller dumps on the AC side. Some like this some don't ; opinions often differ on the web.

I also have a ghurd diversion controller assembled . It triggers a pair of IGBT bricks from a tap on a single battery . Tested but not installed yet.

A 3 phase contactor with a 100AC coil also sits on the shelf waiting to be tested. It would make a good clipper but I'm too chichen to short the windings at full speed.

John

boB

Quote from: mike90045 on June 14, 2012, 11:46:25 PM
Quote from: boB on June 13, 2012, 11:51:39 PM
.....  Just connect the turbine DC to the battery and the Classic to the battery and your diversion
load to the battery...... 

Huh ?  What about connecting the Diversion controller to the battery, and the diversion load to the diversion controller .  Just hooking the diversion load to the battery = dead battery at some time.

Sorry, it was assumed that the diversion controller was controlling that load.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me