New Off Grid Inverter Charger

Started by nigel, June 15, 2012, 11:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westbranch

good to see you are still around niel.   8) ...  welcome to the 'space' where (some) members  try to deliberately find the limits and go beyond their design  ::)..  enjoy the wait!    ???
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

onanparts

Stopped by Midnite for a peek at the EGo prototype. Snapped two pics before getting busted by security... >:( first pic is OK but my big fat finger ruined the only pic of the entire EGo.. :o

I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

onanparts

After undergoing numerous background checks, a few bribes and signing multiple non-disclosure agreements I was able to take the pic shown here of an EGo circuit board.

Note: Edited slightly to protect the innocent & the guilty... :) Oh...what's my impression of the EGo? Hmmm..makes my Radian look like a Model T. Inside and outside. Besides features/functions etc. like everything Midnite makes, this sucker is OVERBUILT!

Bean counters have a bad habit of ruining a great engineering design. Cut corners to cut costs and the product suffers.
The Midnite bean counters are extremely efficient at their job but quality is never allowed to suffer.

Case in point: The relays shown in this thread for the EGo are overrated well beyond the designed rating. Around 35% over any current that will ever pass through them. In contrast my Radian relays are rated at 60 amps with the inverter rated to carry around 50 amps, but unlike the EGo design, the Radian can't easily prevent a higher current from passing through the relays and they are known to fail in those situations.

Burned out AC relays and your home/business going dark due to bean counters going cheap on a simple relay in the EGo? Highly unlikely!

I know! Heavy duty relays...not very interesting. But it indicates what to expect in the EGo line when they become available. Overbuilt/over designed top to bottom and front to back.

Oh....if looks could kill! I'm putting mine in the front room! The EGo on the outside is NOT a boring plain Jane box you hide in the garage/outbuilding. That's where most will end up of course due to practical concerns but...Dang! I bet they could sell empty display only versions!  :)

More to come as I'll be stopping by Midnite often to follow the progress of the EGo line. Stay tuned!

russ_drinkwater

Hi,
Dumb proof means it can be set up easily and does not need constant tweaking!
Indestructable basically means it will last for decades with care and no abuse!
A lot of equipment made today whether analog or digital does not last.
Most of my equipment just needs to work and not breakdown.
A porsche is nice but will not last as long as some of the older diesel made in US or Great Britian tractors (Our tractors are both 45 years plus old and still going!).
One is fast and flashy/complicated (well made I guess), but the others are slow, simple and reliable!
Never inferred midnight was dogdy or ripoff? ???
I have run over a few cats if that counts? (In regard to inverter abuse)
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

onanparts

Eventually all of the pieces will come into focus.... :)

mahendra

i am looking forward for those features.As i mentioned before i was awaiting a midnite inverter before i was forced to go with my outback which is wonderful by the way
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

Raster

Looking forward to the new inverter. I don't have any equipment yet. Would like to see:

General: Robust, elegant, quiet (fans and operation), lightweight, very low tare, full support for AC coupled system (120/240), easy to repair, great warranty

Power: scalable, not sure what is a good low end. I would need 48V+, 3.5kw max. As someone mentioned with SMA, a better way to handle fully charged batteries than frequency modulation, maybe load diversion signal.

Comms: 1g ethernet, webserver for control

Battery support: include LiFePo, with signals for LVD(instant), LVD(timed), HVD, battery temp monitoring for too high or too low. CCCV charging with adjustable current cutoff

Shutdown: simple switch for outside and inside emergency shutdown, can be easily coupled with smoke detectors, etc. Shuts off AC providers automatically (microinverters), disconnects  batteries or provides signal to do so

Cost: not as important as other features

Raster

Forgot one thing: Texas bug proof.

niel

let's see if the image carried over from onanparts as i have the answer to the question why they took it apart.

to find r2 d2.

onanparts

Quote from: niel on April 02, 2016, 02:25:13 AM
let's see if the image carried over from onanparts as i have the answer to the question why they took it apart.

to find r2 d2.

Also the little brother, R1 D1.  :)

Here is another piece of the EGo puzzle..... :)

Halfcrazy

Onan Parts is having way to much fun with this  :D
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

onanparts

Quote from: Halfcrazy on April 03, 2016, 11:23:32 AM
Onan Parts is having way to much fun with this  :D

I would never do that!  :)

OK, maybe one or two more......this is one of the very important components of the EGo. Actually it has Two of these.

Westbranch

Looks like the skin of a very nicely ripen Avocado, like the one I just ate... yum yum  ;D
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

onanparts

Quote from: Westbranch on April 03, 2016, 08:19:19 PM
Looks like the skin of a very nicely ripen Avocado, like the one I just ate... yum yum  ;D

Might be the Avocado option?  :)

I think this is the Dilithium Crystal Chamber of the EGo...but not really certain.

onanparts

Hmmmm...seems to be a lot of interest in the EGo Mushroom board... :) So...here is a peek at another EGo board.