New Off Grid Inverter Charger

Started by nigel, June 15, 2012, 11:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westbranch

mtdoc, ya it has been very quiet  on the western front these days... fingers crossed... :D
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

onanparts

Quote from: Westbranch on December 13, 2016, 07:02:34 PM
mtdoc, ya it has been very quiet  on the western front these days... fingers crossed... :D

I'm heading up North to Midnite sometime before Christmas for a look see on what's happening so far. Will report what I can when I can.  :)

As the Inverter turns....
I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

Westbranch

OMG it's Death Star V

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

niel

russ_drinkwater

Yup, West a power bill death star at that! :o ;D
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

TomW

The corners make it more of a Death Star / Borg hybrid?

The Borg make the Death Star look like BB gun compared to an A-10 Warthog! :o

Just cuz I watch way too much SciFi stuff.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

onanparts

As promised....some pics of the B-17 project... :) Breaker panel and a look inside the bombay section.

onanparts

These are a couple of the MPPT CC modules. A 300 VDC module and a 600 VDC module. One complete and the other partially assembled. The hardware is basically done on these. Mario and his cast of thousands are now focused on the firmware/software end. This is the real deal, it's all coming together very nicely!  :)

niel

nice.

2 comments;
1 i believe i see an open mov in the bottom of the 3rd pic. when they pop they can damage things nearby.
2 ribbon cables, although convenient and cheap for a manufacturer, i've had bad luck with. especially the connectors. i feel these will be issues down the road for you.

onanparts

Quote from: niel on December 23, 2016, 07:12:54 AM
nice.

2 comments;
1 i believe i see an open mov in the bottom of the 3rd pic. when they pop they can damage things nearby.
2 ribbon cables, although convenient and cheap for a manufacturer, i've had bad luck with. especially the connectors. i feel these will be issues down the road for you.

Keep in mind "hardware is basically done". These are still pre production MPPT CC modules undergoing extensive testing, tweaking, minor changes etc.

Can't speak for MS on the use of ribbon cables but I've never had any issues with them in computers, Ham radios etc. Some of my transceivers have a ton of them!  :) Many are mobile units 20-30+ years old.

Although extremely biased... ;D I'm not a MS employee, what you see posted picture wise by me is what anyone will see if they stop in for a visit at MS.  :)

niel

as a matter of fact, it was in ham radio stuff that i had the problems and both were icoms. one was an ic-32at and the ribbon cable broke. there wasn't much cable to open up the radio to work on it and the other half stressed that cable until it broke. i was modifying it when this happened.

the other radio i believe was an a dual bander and i've forgot the model, but it developed a noisy volume control and i had to take the front of it off to reach it to spray the pot. the connections were so flimsy that the 28? wire ribbon was able to move side to side and shorted out the radio no matter how careful i was being. it was a very cheap connection and it's obvious it wasn't intended to be taken apart by the typical end user. later that year they came out with a model with a removeable front face. i loved both radios and ribbons were the death of both of them.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: niel on December 24, 2016, 02:03:43 AM
as a matter of fact, it was in ham radio stuff that i had the problems and both were icoms. one was an ic-32at and the ribbon cable broke. there wasn't much cable to open up the radio to work on it and the other half stressed that cable until it broke. i was modifying it when this happened.

the other radio i believe was an a dual bander and i've forgot the model, but it developed a noisy volume control and i had to take the front of it off to reach it to spray the pot. the connections were so flimsy that the 28? wire ribbon was able to move side to side and shorted out the radio no matter how careful i was being. it was a very cheap connection and it's obvious it wasn't intended to be taken apart by the typical end user. later that year they came out with a model with a removeable front face. i loved both radios and ribbons were the death of both of them.

I also had an Icom HT that the ribbon cable broke - but there is a difference between one with the ends soldered directly to the circuit board on one end and one with connectors on both ends. I am sure Midnite will engineer them to be durable. They have to with their warranty !

I gave my broken HT to a friend and he was able to repair it and documented that here
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~timc/e/w21at.html

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

niel

i did attempt to solder new wire in, but was unsuccessful as the 32at had no connectors either. it was the other icom that was a dual band mobile that had the flimsy connectors. i have never seen anything so cheap in my life. it was nearly impossible to line up all of the connections right and the radio blew. i haven't bought an icom since.

kitestrings

Robin et all,

Looks interesting.  I confess I haven't followed this post much, but I thought you might be interested to know that the website from Home Power doesn't seem to work:

www.midnitesolar.com/MNB17

~ks

TomW

~ks

I poked Ryan with this. Hopefully he can sort it out.

Not wise to have a new Flagship product link from a popular site  folks can't get to.

Appreciate the heads up!

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies