Panel orientation one single MPPT

Started by Riley, April 09, 2023, 12:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley

I understand that it's best to have PV panels with different orientations on separate MPPT controllers. By doing so, each MPPT can optimize for the current conditions and run the panels at their optimum power point.

I currently have 4 parallel strings on my roof with the same orientation and want to add more panels. My plan is to add one more string in the same orientation and then one more string with a tilt to the west to pick up later day sun (to help finish off the absorb phase in the fall when I am short on sun hours).

Summary - 5 parallel strings in one orientation and then one more on a tilt so different orientation on the same MPPT.

While I know this isn't the best, but given each series panel of a given parallel string has the same orientation, wouldn't this work OK?  I assume that the controller might run the system at less than optimal power point but hoping it would still get a decent amount of power from that 6th string.

Note: I can't really run a separate PV feed to another MPPT controller due to cabling issues from the roof top to my mechanical room.
Off-grid summer home: XW+6048 / 48V FLA battery bank (428 A/H (Rolls S-550 batteries)) / Conext MPPT 60 150 charge controller / SCP / Insight gateway / 12 - 260W solar panels / Kohler 12KW 12-RES propane genset

ClassicCrazy

It should work fine . I have had PV strings at slightly different orientations and some with shading before others. No issues .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable