News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Barcelona Updater

Started by Groton Vermont, September 27, 2023, 11:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groton Vermont

Hi all,
I have installed my new Barcelona which is running great.
Downloaded the Updater app onto my iphone.
When I run it, it doesn't communicate with the Barcelona?
Bluetooth on iphone is on.
Any clues?
thanks
Jim

ClassicCrazy

A few things to try .
Restart the phone.
Restart the Barcelona.
Don't have the phone too close to the Barcelona.
Of course make sure the bluetooth on the phone is enabled for the app.
If nothing else works maybe reinstall the updater app and then look at the permissions to make sure it is allowed to use bluetooth.
I can't think of anything else right now . I use android phone so don't know much about iphone stuff. Maybe find someone with an android phone and give that a try ?
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Groton Vermont

doh!

Thank you for the reply.

Solved it.

The bluetooth on the MNGP2 was not enabled.

all works now.
Altho, when downloading the upgrades, lots of errors occur. It took 2 tries for the MNGP2 and after about 6 attempts I still have not managed to update the Barcelona. I'll try again later.
Note, the display light timer doesn't work, set to 1min but the light stays on.
And the exit menu timer also does not work.

Jim

ClassicCrazy

glad you got it working.
Yes I have had to try some of the updates a few times to get them to go .
I am guessing you have the beta installer ? There is also another one for production versions but the beta has the newest stuff.
Yes the backlight never goes off - it will slightly dim some but not enough. It has been noted by others as well so hopefully it will get a firmware update that will dim it . Right now I have to cover it up at night because I have it remote .
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

qrper

When did the updater become iPhone enabled? I've had to use a Andoid device to get the firmware uploaded to the Rose.

mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

Raster

I get a "URL Not Found" for the Barcelona Android updater link on the Software page:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.midnitesolar.mnble_prod_update

F-droid.org/en only has the "Classic Monitor" software.

The Firmware page just shows the links for the updaters, not rev numbers and dates as the table implies.

R.

FNG

Quote from: Raster on November 10, 2023, 02:35:31 AMI get a "URL Not Found" for the Barcelona Android updater link on the Software page:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.midnitesolar.mnble_prod_update

F-droid.org/en only has the "Classic Monitor" software.

The Firmware page just shows the links for the updaters, not rev numbers and dates as the table implies.

R.

The links are for the apps to do the update. The files for each revision are on the server and the app automatically picks the newest one. I do keep a read me here on the forum with versions and what they fix/change

Raster

The links work fine, but after I log in to Google store, I get "requested URL was not found". Have no idea what is wrong. GMail works fine. Same result with multiple browsers, and on Windows or LinuxMint. Is there another way to do this?

R.

FNG

Quote from: Raster on November 11, 2023, 04:08:15 AMThe links work fine, but after I log in to Google store, I get "requested URL was not found". Have no idea what is wrong. GMail works fine. Same result with multiple browsers, and on Windows or LinuxMint. Is there another way to do this?

R.
Follow the link on your Android phone it will not work on a laptop. Android apps need to run on the phone or tablet

Raster

Nope. Same problem. The phone I have is a de-Googled Android 10. Runs USB ethernet dongle fine. After logging in, just get URL not found. I guess I am SOL. I was hoping that MS would do updates as Netgear and Silicondust do, with browser based updates/management or even from a local file. No app or login needed. No way to mess that up. Maybe the new Commbox will address this at some point. My system is running loads fine: mini fridge (55-120w), microwave (1200W), battery chargers, lights, etc. Just roof mount panels to go. Looking for updates for: WBjr always shows -.2 amps, Inverter always shows idle even when running the fridge (cold beer). What is really nice is no noise at all.

R.

boB

I wouldn't think that a De-Googled phone should make a difference for these apps ?

Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't make too much sense.

Glad you like the silence and lack of buzzing !

I'm sure this will be figured out, Raster.   

Maybe a simple non activated phone will work ?  One without service and possibly unlocked just for updating.  They used to be like, $40.   Turn on the WiFi and the Bluetooth and get the apk and Bob's your uncle !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Quote from: boB on November 15, 2023, 01:23:50 AM...   Maybe a simple non activated phone will work ?  One without service and possibly unlocked just for updating.  They used to be like, $40.   Turn on the WiFi and the Bluetooth and get the apk and Bob's your uncle ! ...

boB

Hi boB,

The new,  non-activated phone is just what we use here (this was suggested by Classic Crazy, Larry).

It was $33.30 with CA Tax, out the door.  It is a surprisingly-great smartish phone, from Amazon.

I had an issue or two, Updating a Barcelona.  With help from Ryan and WizBandit,  the largest issue appears to have been noises from the SW+ inverters,   and possibly the Barcelona MPPT.  Adding a #6 AWG EGC from inverter cases to the Barcelona's EGC Lug, seemed to be the solution (in 2005 when this off-grid system was built, I had relied on EMT conduit, and cast zinc conduit fittings, as the EGC,  which appears to not have been enough).

On the above thoughts about noise,  one might try Updating,  with lightloads on the inverter/s,  and, perhaps the Barcelona's MPPT=OFF  ...

Good suggestions, boB, Larry, and Jim.  FWIW,  YMMV,  and so on, Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: boB on November 15, 2023, 01:23:50 AMI wouldn't think that a De-Googled phone should make a difference for these apps ?

Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't make too much sense.

Glad you like the silence and lack of buzzing !

I'm sure this will be figured out, Raster.   

Maybe a simple non activated phone will work ?  One without service and possibly unlocked just for updating.  They used to be like, $40.   Turn on the WiFi and the Bluetooth and get the apk and Bob's your uncle !

boB

I think the problem is Bob that if a phone is de googled it won't allow logging onto the Playstore which is google entity and then no way to get the app and do the update.
But seems like the easy solution at this point would be to get a free or cheap used ( or cheap new)  android phone , make up a  google account with fake name  ( if that is why someone doesn't want google spying on them) and then you could log into Playstore, get the app, and do the update. You don't need to pay any phone carrier costs if you just use the phone via wifi.  If that is the only thing done with that phone there won't be too much spying going on.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Yeah, I just don't know. I use a gOOgled fone myself.  :)

If he could just download the .APK file onto his computer he could use USB cable to sideload the program. I guess if the phone is truly de-google-i-fied, that shouldn't matter.  I thought you could do that ?  If we had the APK itself on our web site, you could do that.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me