Aux Settings - Waste Not options - can anyone explain ?

Started by ClassicCrazy, November 05, 2023, 02:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicCrazy

I have the Aux ( Aux2 )  of my Hawkes Bay connected to a SSR that controls 120v 1500 watt water heater element.
I have it set on Waste Not mode with PWM activated.
I don't understand all the options and the manual doesn't explain it for me other than I know you can option to turn pwm on or off.

Active High 
On +0.0v  Off -0.1v
Delay 4.0  Hold 5.0
PWM y  Width 666ms

With the defaults above it seems to switch the load on and off pretty slow compared to what i was used to seeing with the Classic in this mode- although it just clouded up some when I started with this so not sure on the extra power available now.
I don't have a scope to hook up to it. In the past I just watch how fast the led on the SSR would flicker on and off which seemed to be good indication of how much extra power was available. The settings I just tried there was no flicker - just switched on and off.

Thanks for any help.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

OK Larry.

We have a system set up in the lab at work.

I am going to test this, this week on the Barcelona.

I have not checked Waste Not out on the HB or Barcelona so will do that this week.

It should work like the Classic does/did  but maybe there was something left out or  operation changed slightly.

BUT I do notice from your display that there is a hold time and delay time which should only relate to the Classic's Aux 1  mode which was NOT PWM at 500 Hz in AC mode.  I also don't see a "width" control.

Hmmmm....   Something doesn't seem quite right here maybe.

Does the Hold time and delay appear to do ANYTHING when PWM is set to YES ?

Also, a width of 0.3 would not be enough to work like the Classic.  The Classic would be a whole 1.0 volt wide for 10  PWM steps.  You might try reducing the -0.1V to like -0.7 volts and see what happens.  Or, -0.1 for the highest and  -1.1 for the lowest voltage relative to Absorb, Float V, etc.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: boB on November 05, 2023, 06:50:41 PMOK Larry.

We have a system set up in the lab at work.

I am going to test this, this week on the Barcelona.

I have not checked Waste Not out on the HB or Barcelona so will do that this week.

It should work like the Classic does/did  but maybe there was something left out or  operation changed slightly.

BUT I do notice from your display that there is a hold time and delay time which should only relate to the Classic's Aux 1  mode which was NOT PWM at 500 Hz in AC mode.  I also don't see a "width" control.

Hmmmm....   Something doesn't seem quite right here maybe.

Does the Hold time and delay appear to do ANYTHING when PWM is set to YES ?

Also, a width of 0.3 would not be enough to work like the Classic.  The Classic would be a whole 1.0 volt wide for 10  PWM steps.  You might try reducing the -0.1V to like -0.7 volts and see what happens.  Or, -0.1 for the highest and  -1.1 for the lowest voltage relative to Absorb, Float V, etc.

boB

I will try some of those things tomorrow if the sun comes out like it is supposed to.
It is kind of hard to run back and forth from the HB display and the water heater relay , but I think I will run a cat5 cable to the shed so I can put the MNGP2 remote in there to do this experimenting.
bob , when you do  your testing could you take note of which firmware version your test unit has in it ?
I think there have been some changes to firmware, though not documented or announced. For example the MNGP2 backlight now dims down quite a bit  more than it used to  ( but still won't go dark).
The firmware I am running is MNGP2 23.9.13
Hawkes Bay 23.7.19
I saw last week there was a new Hawkes Bay update but I couldn't get it to load after  couple tries and I gave up on it for the time being.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Larry, I am first going to file a "bug"  after seeing your MNGP2 LCD picture.

For instance, when you see the "Y" for YES following the PWM, there are settings on that screen that should go blank and be invisible.  If it says PWM No, then the PWM controls should go away.

That is an MNGP2 issue.  We'll get to the bottom of this.

Sorry you are having this problem.  You should not be a Guinee pig here.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: boB on November 06, 2023, 12:03:15 PMLarry, I am first going to file a "bug"  after seeing your MNGP2 LCD picture.

For instance, when you see the "Y" for YES following the PWM, there are settings on that screen that should go blank and be invisible.  If it says PWM No, then the PWM controls should go away.

That is an MNGP2 issue.  We'll get to the bottom of this.

Sorry you are having this problem.  You should not be a Guinee pig here.

boB

I just tried it again and adjusting the Width down towards 0 made it start to pwm faster like the Classic does. Raising that number up will make it go off and on much more slowly in noticeable seconds.
I didn't notice if the other settings did anything. 
I don't mind being a beta tester - that is what I signed up for .
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Larry, this means it is working then !

I sure appreciate the picture you sent of the MNGP2.

Still we need to fix the display.

Setting the voltage to just below the relative Absorb voltage and Float voltage should work good.

I suggest maybe -0.2V for the high end and maybe -1.0 or -0.8 volts below that for the other end ?

Can't remember if your batteries are Pb or LiFPo4 ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

I will plug those numbers in and see how it goes.
I am using lithium LiFePo4 .
Have you heard anything about when the remote sense for voltage on the Hawkes Bay will be operational ? It really would be helpful with the lithiums.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on November 06, 2023, 09:37:22 PMI will plug those numbers in and see how it goes.
I am using lithium LiFePo4 .
Have you heard anything about when the remote sense for voltage on the Hawkes Bay will be operational ? It really would be helpful with the lithiums.
Larry

Great !  The RBS is being worked on right now actually !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Will the Hawkes Bay Aux1 and Aux2 both be able to do pwm independently at the same time ?

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on November 07, 2023, 05:26:22 PMWill the Hawkes Bay Aux1 and Aux2 both be able to do pwm independently at the same time ?

Larry

Not sure, Larry.   Will look into that as well.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me