Midnite Classic failure.

Started by wrt, November 06, 2023, 12:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrt

Hi all,
I have had a Classic 150 running for a fair while now and today it floated the Battery then started showing unusually high voltage and heat then shut down.

I only noticed this as it smelt hot when I entered the shed (don't normally look too close at the screen) after leaving it to cool It won't start up, I connect the power to it iT self tests, brings up the opening Midnite screen then shuts off again.

Not that it matters, but awkward time to happen as we leave for two weeks in the morning, so no time to play with it till we return.
"Virtual tracker" configured 5.7kw solar array. Midnite classic charge controller. 400ah @48v LiFePo4 battery. 3548 Latronics inverter.

ClassicCrazy

Does the fan run when it starts up ?

You can go to the Midnite site and open up a support ticket.
https://www.midnitesolar.com/support.php

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

wrt

Hi there,

It does give a short burst as the midnight banner screen comes up, then dies.

Sorry for the slow reply, I need to turn notifications on, it's been a while since I was last on the forum🙂
"Virtual tracker" configured 5.7kw solar array. Midnite classic charge controller. 400ah @48v LiFePo4 battery. 3548 Latronics inverter.

boB

Normally, when the Classic resets or powers up from the start, it will wait several seconds before it actually starts to convert solar to battery power.  So this is evidently beyond that.

There is an auxiliary power supply internally and it may be overloading.  Sometimes, one of the Aux 1 or Aux 2 outputs can be running into a short circuit and then the internal protection takes a moment to open up but while it is resetting, that can overload the auxiliary supply and make the processor reset.

If it is not something simple like that, then calling MidNite support will probably have to happen.  Either for help debugging or getting it fixed.

Sorry about the bad timing !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

wrt

Hi Bob,
Videoed the startup sequence before I left for reference, hopefully it helps. This is all there is, it doesn't get to the wait screen, doesn't reset, just shuts down until I disconnect and reconnect it, then same again.