Hooked up Classic to new panel today and have questions....

Started by Wxboy, June 30, 2012, 07:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wxboy

I purchased a 12 volt panel for camping and I don't have a charge controller for it yet so I hooked it up to the Classic today but I noticed some strange behavior.  At first I was seeing 88 to 90 watts on this 90 degree day but then I noticed it was lower, like in the 40's and 50's.  I figured it was the high clouds but I kept looking out the window saying the sun looks pretty strong so why am I not getting the output.  Then I pushed the enter button on the Classic so it could do a sweep and then it jumped up to 70 something watts.  Then 2 minutes later it was back down in the 50's.  I hit the enter button again and it went back up to the 70's.    I've never seen this behavior with the larger panel so I'm wondering what is happening.  I still don't fully understand the Classic so maybe I'm missing something.  I only had a couple of hours to play with the panel and watch the output today so maybe it was just a fluke and tomorrow everything will seem normal. 

The panel is a UL solar 125 watt 12 volt panel and I did program the wizard for the panel although I'm not sure that matters. 

As a side not while I was playing around I noticed that by hitting the top right and top left buttons on the Classic while it was on the main display screen I could make the input voltage go up and down and therefore the watts changed as well.  Am I the only that didn't know you could do this?  When would this be useful to adjust? 
Midnite Classic 150, 765 watt array, Outback Radian GS4048A inverter, 200ah 48v agm battery bank

boB

Excellent !  You found the magic buttons !    I'm not sure if the manual mentions that
those buttons do that but if you hold down the status button while returning to the
main status display, it has a brief (very brief) description of some of these button
pushes.

Yeah, the SOLAR mode doesn't always work the greatest for a 12V battery and a
12V module...  That mode works better when there is some voltage room above
battery V to work with.   Try another mode such as Legacy.  That may work better in
this situation.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Wxboy

Midnite Classic 150, 765 watt array, Outback Radian GS4048A inverter, 200ah 48v agm battery bank

Wxboy

I used the Legacy mode yesterday and it seemed to work fine.  Thanks again.