23.12.19.01 firmware update won't go

Started by ClassicCrazy, January 05, 2024, 11:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicCrazy

I can't get the  23.12.19.01 Hawkes Bay update to go. I get lots of errors and have tried many times .
I tried restarting Hawkes Bay, re-powering the MNGP, restarting phone, uninstall beta app and reinstall, moving mngp off remote cable back to Hawkes Bay, trying to use the production update app. I can't think of anything else to try. The updates always have a lot of errors showing and always fail. The present firmware installed is 23.11.10

The MNGP2 update says I have the newest one 23.11.06 already.

Anyone else get this firmware to update ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Larry, I think that firmware may have been removed because something wasn't right ?

Fix coming up I believe.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: boB on January 05, 2024, 01:06:55 PMLarry, I think that firmware may have been removed because something wasn't right ?

Fix coming up I believe.

boB
Thanks for the info Bob.
Maybe Friday release jinxed it !
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Yes, now I'm not sure ?  Wizbandit had a similar issue for Rosie I think ?

We'll get it.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

FNG

Larry,
Firmware is still up there now. boB is thinking about something different lol

Updates seem to be inconsistent at best. Mine took over 2hrs and lots of persistence. Here are some instructions I put together for our support team

1.   Download FW app to cell phone.
a.   Link ... MidNite Solar Firmware and Software

2.   Update Rosie/Hawke's Bay/Barcelona first, then update the MNGP2.

3.   Turn off PV IN breaker(s).

4.   Go to USER, SYSTEM CONTROLS, INVERTER and shut off inverter.

5.   Start update on Rosie/Hawke's Bay/Barcelona, when it goes to 100% it should say "Update Transferred Successfully" and the device will update.
a.   Rosie takes about 10 minutes.
i.   Green and yellow LEDs toggle.
b.   Hawke's Bay/Barcelona takes about 5 minutes and gives no indicator. 
i.   Units will rev the fans upon completion.

6.   After Rosie/Hawke's Bay/Barcelona update, then update the MNGP2.
a.   When you connect to the MNGP2, the newer MNGP units will toggle the backlight so you know which MNGP2 you are connected (Bluetooth) to.
b.   When sending the firmware file to the MNGP2, the MNGP2 accepting the file to update will cycle all its LEDs left to right. (NOTE - You can connect to one MNGP2 and update a different MNGP2 no problem)
c.   When an MNGP2 is done accepting files, it takes several minutes to update.
i.   Be careful not to blue tooth back to one that's updating. Nothing bad happens, it will just shut down Blue Tooth when it installs the FW package.

7.   Do a system restore and set system back up.
a.   USER, SYSTSEM CONTROLS, SYSTEM RESTORE

Random Helpful Information

1.   MNGP2 will go blank while installing the new package.
a.   This is normal.
b.   Wait 3-5 minutes, MNGP2 will boot back up.

2.   MNGP2 can fail an update after the phone goes to completion in a couple ways:
a.   Shows menu file not found.
b.   Locks on splash screen.
i.   Shows old menus but new firmware. (Click USER and look for FAV1 to verify old menus)

3.   Solution is usually a second update but to do that you need to revert units to factory default settings first.
a.   Turn DC power off to the system and wait for MNGP2 screen to go dark.
a.   Hold BACK button on MNGP2 that is bad and apply DC power.
b.   When Screen goes blue, count to five and let go of BACK button.
c.   Now update again using phone app.

4.   Some updates to Rosie and Hawke's Bay/Barcelona force a factory restore and depending on the system age, the adoption can be flaky.  This is why we suggest the system resort above.

5.   Hawke's Bay/Barcelona code prior to October and Rosie code prior to early Sept had a bug that the Buss ID could clash on boot up if ALL devices are powered at the same time.
a.   Solution is to power one device at a time with a 5-count in between.
b.   Symptom was ... all devices not showing up on MNGP2.

6.   Cell update can fail part way.  Helpful solutions include:
a.   If it fails once, switch phone to airplane mode and turn on Bluetooth.
b.   Stand far enough away so that the RSSID is -60 to -75.
c.   Phone is connected to other device (Headset, car audio, etc).
d.   Close all other apps on phone.
e.   Keep MidNite updater app alive, don't let phone go dark.
f.   Keep MidNite updater on top.  Do not multi-task.
g.   Restart phone.

7.   Cell update fails to connect (i.e., it will not find devices at all).
a.   Bluetooth is off on phone.
i.   Pairing is not needed, just turn on Bluetooth on cell phone and close any pop ups.
b.   Phone is connected to other device (Headset, car audio, etc).
c.   MNGP2 Bluetooth is off.
i.   USER, MNGP2, BLUE TOOTH STATISTICS.
ii.   FW bug in early 2023 turned this off by default.

ClassicCrazy

I will try it again later today or tonight.
What I got yesterday was lots of block errors and then at end it would say update failed.
I will try some of the things mentioned next time around like :
Shut off PV
Restore to factory defaults.
Use back button to go back to MNGP2 production , then do HB update, then do MNGP2 update.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

I just did 23.12.19.01 update tonight and it all went in perfectly - no errors . So maybe if I had shut off PV in daytime it would have worked ? I didn't shut PV off tonight but since no power coming in thought I would give it a try.  The PV breaker does remote trip after update as usual.
I did not have to update MNGP2 since it was already at newest firmware version.
I reset Hawkes Bay to factory defaults even though it had kept my previous settings. I just went in and changed them all.
One thing I notice is that Lithium charge Absorb default is 56v which is fine. But you can't raise it any higher than that unless you also raise the Equalize voltage setting higher. Of course we don't use equalize in Lithium but just thought I would mention that . I set my Absorb to around 55.2v for regular charging and turn all the timers for equalize to zero  or off .
I think the only thing I see different on MNGP2 is that at the bottom of the
MPPT Config/ Hawkes Bay / External Sensors screen
is that at the bottom of this screen it says External Voltage 52.7v which I am guessing is the Voltage Sense that is wired in. Nice to see that and if the sun ever comes out again here I will be watching to see how it does under charging condition that will finally have something that does not have to be Fine Tuned with Battery Voltage Offset 
That is it - all good with update here so far.
Larry

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Highflyer

I agree, both my HB and BAR took the update on the first try.  We had a lot of clouds today, but I think I saw better output.  Tomorrow's sun should give me a very good idea on any output changes. 

Also, I use an android tablet for my updating.  Don't know if that changes anything for anyone else, but my screen does not go dark during the update, and I stay in the updater app the entire time.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Highflyer

Well yesterday had bright sunshine. By 11AM we had made 13.1 kWh.  I noticed the sweep was much less and I saw much more consistent energy collection.  I am planning a full sun day test for maximum collection.  To date our one day record is 31.2 kWh from the two arrays.  I am interested to see if the new tracking beats that record. 
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Wizbandit

It was overcast here waiting for the big storm front to hit.  Fast moving layers of clouds varying the intensity of radiation hitting this array.  One peek of sun around noon, not a bad tracking graph for overcast... This is the new code.