PV6 combiner on 12/2 pitch

Started by Riley, January 10, 2024, 02:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley

Hi folks - I have a standing seam roof (existing) and need to upgrade the existing "crappy water tight" fused combiner box that my installer put in (I'm upgrading to 6 strings from 4).

I want to use Midnite MNPV6 but I see that the spec is for 3/12 sloped roof and my roof slope is 2/12 (not enough slope I think). My supplier  will sell me the PV-6 but is suggesting another brand that might be better from a slope/weather perspective (but it has other issues/concerns). He's worried about snow build up next to the box and rain which could ingress into the combiner.

I was thinking to mount the PV-6 combiner to the standing seams with screws to 2 short racking rails secured between the roof seams (so it's lifted off the roof a bit).

Question 1: I could make the slope steeper by placing a spacer of sorts (like a double rail) on the top mounting points. Or use some other spacer to get to the minimum 3/12 slope that I see in the spec sheets.

Question 2: Regarding the combined PV output cable, I was thinking of exiting the side of box into a conduit using water tight adapter but I read that the box should be minimum 45 degree slope for that conduit KO. I assume that means when at 3/12 slope, I need to exit on the "bottom" KO?

Question 3: From some pics, I think I can also enter the box from the rear but it's not shown on the drawings.  However, from one pic, I do see a KO. Perhaps I could use that as my exit point?

OR maybe the PV6 isn't a great choice in my specification application? Any help / advice is appreciated.

Off-grid summer home: XW+6048 / 48V FLA battery bank (428 A/H (Rolls S-550 batteries)) / Conext MPPT 60 150 charge controller / SCP / Insight gateway / 12 - 260W solar panels / Kohler 12KW 12-RES propane genset

FNG

I would exit the bottom or back, The idea on the slope is the water will run out if it where to get in due to the drains in the bottom. If you lay it to flat the water can fill to the ground bar. I would not be too worried at a 2/12 if you do not use the side KO's and if you are worried you could poke a 1/8 hole in the bottom near the back (The low point)