Hydro pelton too fast

Started by peterfey, February 29, 2024, 01:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterfey

Hi
Can't work out if it's the turbine or the controller causing the problem.
I came home to find the pelton wheel spinning out of control and the controller on resting.
I shut the water off to the turbine and manually turned the wheel back and forth a few times to see if it was out of alignment. It seemed ok.
Started it up again and it straight away went under load and power coming back in the controller reading mmpt bulk.
After 5 minutes it went again.
Did the same procedure again but this time it only lasted less than a minute.
It did this a month ago and we took it apart and changed the bearings gave it a good clean and Grease and everything seemed fine.

Is anybody able to shed any light on where the problem might be I was thinking maybe it's the crowbar?

Thanks.

boB

What does the rest of the hydro side consist of ?  Does the hydro connect to a 3-phase rectifier and a load as well ?  How does this work ?  Can you draw a diagram ?

What is this crowbar you are using ?  We advocate the use of a clipper and I am guessing this is what you are talking about.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

peterfey

Rectifier in turbine from 3 phase to two phase. Then 60m cable up to shed housing midnight classic. Inverter with house electrics connected and a aux to hot water.
I believe there is a crowbar built in, from reading the manual (?)

boB

How high of voltage does the turbine create while free-spinning ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

peterfey

60 - 80 V , when running properly. nothing coming in when its spinning out of control.

Wizbandit

And there is your problem, "spinning out of control" with NO OUTPUT.  It should be Voc (Volts Open Circuit), max voltage and zero amps. Sounds like a loose wire, maybe inside the turbine...

boB

OR if the turbine actually does have a HV triggering thyristor built into it,  it should turn itself off as soon as the wind dies out.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ralph day

Water boB.  Would make a difference unless the pond goes dry. ::)

boB

Quote from: ralph day on March 03, 2024, 01:26:17 PMWater boB.  Would make a difference unless the pond goes dry. ::)

Right!  Turn off the water.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me