Whiz Bang Senior

Started by Barry Fields, March 08, 2024, 02:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Fields

Proposed WhizBang Senior

Again, you all are digitally smarter than me.  If this concept could be integrated with Midnite Charge controllers it would yield the following benefits.

1. Ability to compare multiple bank charge/discharge/float performance.
2. A better MV resolution of float currents in each bank . (@250ma float .19mv improved to 6.19mv)
3. Maintains the ability to calculate total bank currents.

I feel confident this would be a better mouse trap if the guys smarter than me can digitally integrate the hardware and software.

Humbly yours, Barry
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

boB

That IC would make an awesome WB Senior !

However, you only get 2 differential input channels which is what would be needed.

Not sure if this IC allows it to be biased up in the middle of the range at 0V input to a differential channel?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on March 08, 2024, 06:52:34 PMNot sure if this IC allows it to be biased up in the middle of the range at 0V input to a differential channel?

Not so sure differential inputs would be required.

Specs seem to indicate + and - 2.5 volt supply.

Hope this helps
Barry

ps more expensive differential input ad7177-2 data sheet attached
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

mahendra

Quote from: Barry Fields on March 08, 2024, 02:43:36 PMProposed WhizBang Senior

Again, you all are digitally smarter than me.  If this concept could be integrated with Midnite Charge controllers it would yield the following benefits.

1. Ability to compare multiple bank charge/discharge/float performance.
2. A better MV resolution of float currents in each bank . (@250ma float .19mv improved to 6.19mv)
3. Maintains the ability to calculate total bank currents.

I feel confident this would be a better mouse trap if the guys smarter than me can digitally integrate the hardware and software.

Humbly yours, Barry

Well I know it's not really a new product idea . This was on some threads sometime ago
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

Barry Fields

[/quote]

Well I know it's not really a new product idea . This was on some threads sometime ago
[/quote]

I know I mentioned this in December in my post on parallel bank monitoring. If you are aware of previous posts concerning this concept, I would be interested in reading their rational and suggestions.
Thanks Barry

Barry Fields

I did find some old references to WBsr asking for remote battery sensing.

The ad7177-2 could give you that flexibility.

Ya might also add Bat temp and ambient temp.

boB

The WB Junior has ambient temperature on it now and the Classic and other controllers already have battery temperature.

What would be nice to have on a battery shunt monitor would be the remote battery voltage sense itself since it is already close to the battery terminals.   You might actually be able to not connect the battery negative or that RB V sense in that case.

The new products have remote battery sense connections of course.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Upon reflection, my prior suggestion of tying the low side signal of the shunts together to avoid the need for differential inputs, may be not be viable.
It would be dependent on REALLY spiffy and consistent connections between the shunts and BUSS negative.

There are two bits of good news here.
1. I stand corrected.
2. The ADFS7124-8 ($20) has multiplexing capabilities that would allow for occasional comparison of the low side shunt signal and BUSS negative. This would verify the integrity of the Shunt to Buss connections.

Barry Fields

boB

Quote from: Barry Fields on March 29, 2024, 12:44:41 PMJust found this. Informative read.

Some times we use op-amps with shunts.

TI has many great informative papers.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

I feel I should back off this topic.  I do not want to be a nag (first wife,bless her heart).
I believe I have effectively put forward the advantages of a WBsenior.

1. Better resolution of Bank currents (including float currents).
2. Ability to monitor individual bank health.
3. Maintains ability to calculate coulombs in/out.
4. The flexibility to control Float current modification of Absorb time.
5. Ability to verify shunt/buss connections.

It would be nice to know if MidNite is seriously considering this option.

boB

Quote from: Barry Fields on March 30, 2024, 12:31:29 PMI feel I should back off this topic.  I do not want to be a nag (first wife,bless her heart).
I believe I have effectively put forward the advantages of a WBsenior.

1. Better resolution of Bank currents (including float currents).
2. Ability to monitor individual bank health.
3. Maintains ability to calculate coulombs in/out.
4. The flexibility to control Float current modification of Absorb time.
5. Ability to verify shunt/buss connections.

It would be nice to know if MidNite is seriously considering this option.

No, not working on or considering this right now.  It would be nice but you need to realize that it costs resources, time and money to add more products.  Not to mention all of the software and coordination between engineers and support and documentation.

Multiple battery banks are probably < 1.0 % of the market too.  So the ROI is questionable.

You and I are part of that 1% maybe, but we are not the marketing department either.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Well, I would like your post, but let's just say I appreciate your honesty.

Is there any reason I should not approach Multitel with this concept?

boB

Quote from: Barry Fields on March 30, 2024, 03:31:35 PMWell, I would like your post, but let's just say I appreciate your honesty.

Is there any reason I should not approach Multitel with this concept?

No reason...  It would be a nice product all by itself.  But it really should be able to communicate with a system if it is going to help with things like Ending Amps, etc.  too.

What is Multitel ?   Sounds like a phone company.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

https://www.multitel.com/

They already do Float current monitoring. (FCCP)
They also do modbus to snmp conversions. https://www.multitel.com/solutions/modbus-snmp-protocol-conversion/

I know little of communications protocols.

1. If a stand alone "WBsenior" had a modbus connection, could it communicate with MidNite charge controllers?

2. For my own info, could multiple op amps be connected to the same SHUNT. (my best guess is Yes)

Thanks for your input. Barry