Swapping IP addresses - Classic is crashing?

Started by Warb, November 14, 2012, 02:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warb

I have just installed a Classic 150, then I installed the local monitoring application and updated it to the latest version, on Windows 7 64bit with UAC switched on.

When I run the application, it shows two Classics (I have only one!). One is always "Device not available", and they have consecutive IP addresses. If I open the (available) Classic, I can see what it is doing, but when I click "config" it says "data written to Classic" and about 30 seconds later it says "connection was closed" and returns me to the main screen - where I find that the previously unavailable Classic (with the other IP address) is now working. I repeated this loop several times.

I then upgraded the Classic to the latest 1070 firmware (both parts) which went smoothly. But the same thing happens, it swaps between IP addresses. I even tried pinging the IP addresses, and they respond to the ping in line with what the software says i.e. at any given time the "monitorable" address responds to the ping, the other doesn't. After a few loops, the monitoring software showed no Classics on my network for a few minutes, then displayed one.... until I clicked on it (and "config") when the same loop started and a second Classic with the other IP address reappeared.

I would guess, looking at the DHCP server log, that the Classic is crashing and rebooting everytime I run through this loop, and is grabbing a new IP address every time (the server issuing the next available address each time, and clearing the lease on the previous one).

It seems (from a few minutes of playing) that this only happens when I press the config tab - in any other mode or screen it all seems to work perfectly. If this is the case, the swapping IP addresses is only a symptom of the real issue, being that the Classic crashes every time I hit the "config" tab.

Has anybody seen this behaviour? Any ideas?

boB

Hi Warb !

Try this...   Find an IP address that your router does NOT give out when doing DHCP.  There should be a range
that the router will supply to DHCP enabled devices.   Then, change your Classic to static IP with and
address that is somewhere out of that range (not .255 though as that is a broadcast address)

See if that helps.

I have seen similar problems with my router and Classic and have heard of this happening from
time to time.  It can be frustrating to say the least !

Anyhow, give that a try.

Also, be on the lookout for even newer Classic code coming out that might even help things
further.  We are always trying to fix annoyances such as these and we are getting better
at it as time goes on, luckily.

Thanks,
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Warb

OK, I reconfigured the DHCP scope and the set the Classic to a static IP address outside that range. And it seems to have worked! Thanks!!

SolarMusher

Hi all,
Newbie with the local app and have the same disconnect issue with the config tab. I was in DHCP on Classic, I have set it to static but could not change IP address in another range. For now, it is working very well, but I'm afraid of the static IP that is in the same DHCP range.
How could I change the IP adress into the Classic?
Is it a real problem, if that works?
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

TomW

Erik;

Simple version: go into the setup menu arrow over to "network", hit enter then arrow over to the IP address and change the 3 numbers all the way to the right by highlighting it and using up / down arrows to change to the value you want then hit the enter button to save it. Once you do that change the "DHCP" to "STATIC", hit enter and it should be all set.

DHCP gets all the other info you would need to enter manually and it will keep it when you change the IP and switch to static.

It is really quite easy.

Good luck with it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

boB

Quote from: SolarMusher on November 27, 2012, 05:40:05 PM

Is it a real problem, if that works?
Erik

I would say that if it works, don't fix it !

Sometimes I just have to leave things as they are if they are working.

I usually want to know why something is or isn't working though.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

SolarMusher

QuoteSimple version: go into the setup menu arrow over to "network", hit enter then arrow over to the IP address and change the 3 numbers all the way to the right by highlighting it and using up / down arrows to change to the value you want then hit the enter button to save it. Once you do that change the "DHCP" to "STATIC", hit enter and it should be all set.

DHCP gets all the other info you would need to enter manually and it will keep it when you change the IP and switch to static.
Tom,
That's what I did, but I couldn't highlight IP. I think that my mistake was to change DHCP to Static first.
I'll try to set it as you said later.
QuoteI would say that if it works, don't fix it !
Sometimes I just have to leave things as they are if they are working.
boB,
That was my thought, wait and see.
If it works for several days without conflict, I'll keep it like that. I'll change that IP range only if I've trouble.
Thanks and great job on this software.
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator