"Device not available" but I can ping it

Started by aleman83, November 24, 2012, 04:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aleman83

Hello everybody,

I finally have my computer now and really would like to set up my Midnite Solar Lite 200 with the local app.

I am using a crossover cable to connect directly to the Controller. I have tried different IPv4 addresses and finally managed to ping the controller over 192.168.2.223 and with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The port only works set to 205 which I have. The local app even finds the IP address.... as Unknown and then sais "Device not available".

Please help!!!

aleman83

I have already restarted the midnite classic too.

TomW

aleman;

This is a common problem. Did you upgrade to the latest status panel? The latest is Application Version 0.3.10.

I am convinced this problem is network hardware related. I had problems until I changed an ethernet  switch and my router which both were old and suspect.

Just my tuppence.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

aleman83

Yes, I do have the latest version, and I'm not using a router. Just direct with a crossover cable.

TomW

Quote from: aleman83 on November 24, 2012, 04:42:39 PM
Yes, I do have the latest version, and I'm not using a router. Just direct with a crossover cable.

Never tried it that way but it should work?

My hardware theory is just that. A theory. I saw some other references to it so I was not surprised when mine started working after the network upgrade.

I had the same symptoms, could ping it but could not connect even tho the app could obviously see it. Have you configured the network on the classic? Or does your PC act as a DHCP server? If you can ping it it has gotten an IP somehow and is likely set up for networking.

You might try connect it to a hub and the computer to a hub also see if it works that way? There is some evidence that an ethernet switch is better than an ethernet hub for this.

Another gotcha is that the Classic can only talk to one device at a time any second attempt gets the "Busy" error. Just FYI.

Good luck with it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

boB

If you are connecting straight from your PC or laptop to the Classic, you have to set the PC for static IP and set
the first 3 sets of digits to what the Classic is set to.   Since your Classic was set to  192.168.2.223   you should
set the PC address to 192.168.2.XXX   I think.

This is where a router is a bit easier way to connect to a Classic because you can just leave the router set
to DHCP, receiving its address from the router too.

Give that static IP on your PC a try and see if that helps.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

aleman83

I already did set the computers IP address to the same as the midnite solar. As I said I can ping it, but it sais device not available. :(

dgd

Quote from: aleman83 on November 25, 2012, 01:50:38 AM
I already did set the computers IP address to the same as the midnite solar. As I said I can ping it, but it sais device not available. :(
I assume you do not mean the exact same IP address on PC and classic? If they are the same then it will definitely not work.
Make the classic, for example, 192.168.2.101
And the computer 192.168.2.80
They are on the same class C network but different addresses within that network
If either asks for a net mask use 255.255.255.0

If this does not work get an Ethernet hub, 100tx 4 or more port type and connect both the classic and Classic into the hub
Hope this helps  :)
Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

aleman83

It works!!!!! I had the adresses the same ;)

Thank you so much!!! That made my day!